Tuesday, August 08, 2006

for Life or Something Like It

So this is a digital photo of an old 135 mm photo, grainy at best. The stains are on the photo, not on the carpet or on my arms, not from the dog! He was a good boy! When I was 3 or just 4, I got this puppy. For years, people thought I had named him Henri...I guess cuz he was a poodle mix. As an adult, I think it's hilarious that they all thought I even would know that Henri is a French name...and that my little dog was even(gasp) French??? I was 3 or 4!!!! I mean, yes, of course, we'd all like to think I was such a little genius...especially me. He lived with that mistaken identity for the rest of his life. I don't even remember how old I was when I discovered that EVERYONE thought his name was Henri...but I knew his real name...and then it became ever so much more special to me. Like knowing Batman's secret identity.
When my folks got divorced and we moved into a little apartment, my Grandma took him. I saw him nearly every weekend during the school year and spent my summers with her and my dog...only he did become her dog. I didn't mind. They really grooved on each other and I am so thankful to her for saving him...they had lots of good years...lots.
Want to know his real name?


Ornery: as in.....

Main Entry: or·nery Pronunciation: 'or-n&-rE, 'är-; 'orn-rE, 'ärn-Function: adjectiveInflected Form(s): or·neri·er; -estEtymology: alteration of ordinary: having an irritable disposition : CANTANKEROUS - or·neri·ness noun

Isn't that a hoot?

5 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Ornery! what a great name! Especially a secret name!

Biddie said...

I love it! What a great photo, I love the carpet. It is alot like my couch. Ornery was fabulous name, and a super cute dog. Thanks for sharing him with me.

Biddie said...

Hey. K.C. and I are going to try to link you today... I totally suck at this kind of thing.

dilling said...

good luck....the first time is hard, if you are computer clueless like me...

Biddie said...

Still not working... I have no idea what I am doing. I had k.C. working on it, but still no luck. damn. I need Hedi to come for a visit. maybe she could figure it out....
I really do love the photo.