Friday, August 04, 2006

birthday

Today would have been, should have been, Maggie's 15th birthday. Eight months ago today, she fell asleep for the last time in my arms. I miss her endlessly.
I was unemployed, unhappily married and living in a rental that didn't allow pets. I walked past the pet store. I fell in love. The absolute best impulse purchase ever made. She howled all the way home in my truck, sounding for all the world like she was six feet tall and just as wide. She was six weeks old and fit in my pocket. I cried for the day I wouldn't have her anymore.
I came from a family that didn't teach me how to be a whole person. I am not whining about it...there are lots of us out there. There was no such thing as unconditional love. People left and didn't come back. There were times I knew, beyond doubt, that I was a burden. There was drama, and tension and the catch-all phrase of Dysfunction. We didn't hug. We didn't touch. We all had our own lives that we had to direct ourselves. Some called us latch-key. Looking back at it, I think the term feral is more apt.
I didn't know why I kept picking lousy relationships and staying, or even that they were lousy relationships. I didn't know why I had such a drive to self-medicate. I didn't know there was anything WRONG with me at all.
As I got to know more about me, some things had to change...it's hard to change your whole life when all your whole life long has been marked, though. It took a long time. I got divorced...broke down, overmedicated more....bought a trailer and hitched it to my Jeep and hit the road...we were
modern day nomads. I was only brave enough to go because there was someone to go with me. Maggie.
Maggie was the only constant in my life. She was the only thing I let close to me for a long time. She taught me that relationships can last longer than a little while, that LOVE is not that giddy head over heels feeling that you have at the beginning(that makes you act rashly, like walking down an aisle way too soon) but those feelings that remain after. Responsibility is NOT burden. There is joy in rolling in warm sand. Macaroni and cheese is always better shared with someone you love. She taught me that in order to take care of her, I had to take care of myself...take care of myself... mmm, a strange, if intriguing idea.
There is so much more to our story but it's mine...none of it is truly exciting. She wasn't Lassie or Rin-Tin-Tin. She was just a little beagle with a dedicated heart. Sometimes we have pets. Sometimes pets have us. She blessed my life. She saved me in a way that is difficult to explain. She made me human, a full(still flawed) person. That seems like a lot to put on a little furry soul, doesn't it? But she did...or I did, for her.
I miss her little smile, eyes curled in laughter as she looked over her shoulder at me when I would take her to her favorite walking spots. I miss her pissy face when she couldn't have something she wanted. I miss her singing in the morning when she awoke to see us all together in bed, another full day together to celebrate. I miss her toenails on the hardwood.
My last thought....
I imagine that as I go out of this world, if there is anyone watching, they will see me smile just before my light goes out. My arms will open and they will hear me whisper "Maggie" as I go home.
I miss you, Chicken. Be so very good. loveloveloveloveloveyou

9 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Beautiful. A beautiful tribute to a wonderful friend.

You know I just lost one, and I feel it so deeply, but I'm thinking how much I loved him and how glad I am to have had him. I don't have the same backstory as you, but that horse kept me sane.

They are blessings.

I'm willing to feel that pain anyday if it means feeling all that unconditional love.

Biddie said...

I had a friend like that,too. Her name was Poodle. I firmly believe that she is in heaven and that one day I will see her again. She was more than a pet, more than family,even.
How wonderful that you had that unconditional love. There is nothing in the world like it. Happy birthday, Maggie.

dilling said...

I wouldn't have changed a thing about her...I loved her beyond reason, beyond sanity...she ate my furniture, she kept me sleepless chasing raccoons all night, she would not be left alone, she lived a ferocious life...she loved me fiercely. I needed that. I have had other animals share my life...but she changed my life. She was brave and for her, I became brave.

Jeep Grrrl said...

Oh Leslie, that's absolutely beautiful. You're memories of Maggie have left a lump in my throat and tears beginning to well up. I soooo know that feeling of unconditional love and loyalty, and I am blessed to have two great big creatures to share my life with. But I also know that inevitabley, they too shall pass, and that is one day I dread more than anything. But as 'Heidi the Hick' said, that pain is worth all the years of every moment, every memory you have. Maggie was your life-changer. How wonderful that you got to spend 14+ years with her, and she with you.

Crafty Missus said...

you got me crying! of course i cry for my spazzzy cat daily. i know what you mean about your pet changing your life, spazzz did that for me. he made the transistion of moving to a new place and having no friends easy, nothing better than coming home to a furry bundle of love (even if it is attitude cat love). he was my constant in an ever changing world. i to think that when i die, spazzz will be there to meet me, with his slinky tail twitching with joy, and oh am i ever going to sunngle him!

Anonymous said...

Of course I am sitting here crying. When you came to visit this last time I kept expecting her to howl her hello when you got out of the car. I was blessed to have known her. Thanks for sharing. Love you much.

dilling said...

Thanks everyone...
sometimes I feel like I am dwelling on it all...but I miss her in a tragic way. I am looking for another friend to share our home with, after our summer dog has gone home to his mommies...and Michael is finally(thank god, looking online at rescues with me) warming to the idea. I think he has been grieving as much as I, just quietly. He loved her so, too...and after losing Crook(oh so definitely HIS kitty), I was so scared he would never want another furry kid around. I couldn't imagine a life with hair in the corners of my house, paw prints on the furniture and squeakie toys scattered everywhere... let's celebrate them all. I am sure all our loved creatures have met and are having a grand time... Heidi, Maggie LOVED horses, in the worst/best way. She would enter any pasture, anytime, to nuzzle up to one, fearlessly. LOVED THEM!!!!

dilling said...

I absolutely meant to say "I couldn't imagine a life WITHOUT hair in the corners of my house!" Eeks.

dilling said...

thanks to all...i am so glad that Monchichi and Scoob, two very special "bestests" got to share her...Monchichi knows me before, during and after Maggie... and always recognized our love!
I have been checking the rescue pages daily...Michael was asking about some hounds I have been looking at... I need another singer around here.