Friday, November 09, 2007

So, yeah....it was a long night

I don't know how many times I was on the phone with RCMP dispatch last night. I don't know how many times my neighbours were on the phone with dispatch last night. I do know there was not enough response. Not nearly enough. It was a madhouse out there last night and we felt like we were facing it alone. Also, something nasty is bound to happen. Soon. The confrontations are on the rise around here, verbally and otherwise. The crackheads are becoming so confident that they own the street and some folks around here are not taking that too well. And I blame the City of Nanaimo for any violence that springs from this. It is nasty out here right now and they don't even respond to a letter.
I have had only one nibble on my letter, but it is from a television station. I think today, I will zip the 200 or so photos I have of what's been happening here and send those along to some news organizations, By-laws, Council.... Gordon Campbell, Stephen Harper....whatever.
Blackwater?!?
Okay, that last one is a joke...a bit sinister, but whatever.

12 comments:

emily said...

Do you want to come stay for a couple nights?

Or you could go to Sechelt and stay at mom's for a couple?

dilling said...

Not right now...soon, maybe.

Gardenia said...

Scary - the police must even be afraid - if there were some big guys around in the neighborhood that live there and are not crackheads, is a neighborhood watch possible? Uhhhhmmmm, I guess that takes the cooperation of the police - duh. Are weekends the worst?

Olly said...

I hate to admit that I feel this way, but I really believe that something does have to happen - a confrontation maybe. An angry resident finally losing it and acting out accordingly. I feared that happening on our street when we had problems, but something needs to bring things to a head and get some serious attention.

I know, really scary to think about, but how far will people be pushed around in their own street before they snap?

So is the TV station really interested? It would be so good to nationally expose our clown council and all their antics bringing the city down.

Chin up, it can't go on forever.

Michael Colvin said...

There must be something we can all do to make a noise about this. To stir up the blogworld and make a news story out of it to embarass the council into doing something. Think everybody. THINK HARD!

emily said...

I say you get a video camera and tape what goes on at night. Then upload it to youtube and post the link on telephone poles and flyer it under north end and downtown cars.

Anonymous said...

My moving truck is arriving at the end of November and I'm out of the downtown core. There is nothing else in Canada like this little "Surrey by the Sea."

Biddie said...

This sucks. I'm with Tod and Emily. There has to be something that we can all do to help.

raine said...

I like Em's idea. I sent you a bit of an e-mail about it....

dilling said...

there are a couple of folks who live in those Prideaux condos on the higher floors who might let someone video off the deck or through the window....

Anonymous said...

You know you're always welcome to visit here...respite is my specialty!

Olly said...

The camera thing...Great for you tube and media, but don't count on the police taking any interest unless you get identifiable face pictures.

After receiving some threats from the crack house on our street my husband rifled through our used equipment (we own a security co.) and mounted three cameras on our house. Two were mounted in a way to watch our property and the third one pointed at the crack house to record the activity there.

We offered the RCMP days & weeks of recorded footage, but they declined. Not interested. You would think that being able to see people coming and going all day and night would help, but not if they could not see their face. Needless to say that we only special order cameras for jobs that require them needing that kind of sharp night vision. Very expensive.

Maybe the media will take much more of an interest though from pictures and video