Sunday, November 11, 2007

Photo Assignment: Buttertubs Marsh

But first....let's take a moment to remember those who have fallen and those still among us who have made all the difference. Thank you.
********************************************************

Tuesday morning, bright and early, I headed off to Buttertubs Marsh for our latest Photo Assignment Nanaimo. I thought that if I was there early enough, that I could smuggle a certain somebody in with me...because what's a walk without a dog... I mean, if you're a dog person, right?
The signage was pretty clear what the Parks Department thinks of dogs and cats here at Buttertubs. However, I wasn't the only one out there with a dog...hmmmn. And I don't think the dogs left the size twelve bootprints heading out into the marsh and a trail of crumpled cattails and broken branches behind OR the copious amounts of McDonald's litter. But I could be wrong. So, leashed tightly together and armed with an abundance of poo bags, we crept around the fringes of Buttertubs.

We used this entrance...there are a couple of entrances and maybe the other folks with dogs felt more comfortable marching in because they didn't walk past this building with Parks workers already there. Shhhhh.


I don't know how anyone sees anything here. Cattails as high as your eye march right up to the path....



and then go on forever. Surreal and glorious. A world unknown.




On the other side of the path was this grove of Hawthorn trees with hardly a leaf left, but absolutely brilliant in berries.












Bedazzling.




I would have liked to live here. I wonder who did have their house here on the edge of the marsh. Did they love waking to the ducks and songbirds each morning? Or sometimes when the sun was rising in summer, was it just too damn loud with all that singing at 4 am? I wonder where they went, and when, and why they took their whole house with them....






but left this behind. And although I know this is an auger of some sort, I do wonder what it was used for here in the marshy-marshiness of Buttertubs Marsh.










I didn't make it around the whole marsh. I still had Eemer with me and didn't want to press my luck . Also, I do understand the need to keep dogs out of sanctuaries for wildlife. It's because of irresponsible owners. I get it. I do. And I don't want to make things any tougher on us responsible dog owners by thumbing my nose at these ordinances(at least not all the time.)
So I turned around here and headed back to the car, picking up litter along the way and tucking it into poobags because it is not just some dog owners who are irresponsible in a wildlife sanctuary.
I saw ducks but they didn't come in close for photos, and I heard the rustle of hundreds of smaller birds through the dead leaves, the rushes, the hawthorn branches...but they did not come sit for photos, either. That's how it works sometimes. Nature keeps her own schedule.










And that's about it for me...next week something new...the downtown Nanaimo waterfront. What a treat.










10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love it, Dilling. As soon as you left a comment over at my place, I knew you must have put your marsh shots up.
This post is a prime example of the wonderful variety of ways one can see a place. You took shots I never would have "seen". And I love that you are so concious: picking up garbage along the way, thinking about the former owners of the house on that old foundation... A perfect blend of words and images.
Thanks, I've really enjoyed this, once again, SUCH fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and thank you also for the remembrance links. And for being such a responsible dog owner :)

Michael Colvin said...

Thanks for taking me along and I love the hawthorn berries shot. I would stop and ponder about the foundation too. I'm always curious about old abandoned stuff.

Coffeypot said...

Thank you for the remembrance links you posted. At our Navy reunion each year we honor the Australian sailors who worked so hard to save our guys after the collision by reciting the poem “For The Fallen” by Laurence Fallon. The portion “Less We Forget” is embroidered on our caps, and is at the end of any association emails and letters.

You seem to have quiet a few places to walk and take pictures. I guess, if I really looked, I could find a few places like that around here. So far, Kennesaw Mountain is the best I can come up with that is within a decent drive.

raine said...

How do you know the names of everything? I didn't know all those berries are Hawthorne. I love that berry photo. Awesome. All of you pictures are amazing. I also like the way you are always thinking about your surroundings. I tend to do the opposite and see mainly the "surface" - trying to see light and colour and composition. I'm kind of a linear gal. Did I say your photos were amazing?

raine said...

Oh, and I saw some on leash doggies yesterday morning too. I think leashed dogs are fine there. I used to run around the marsh frequently, and remember seeing some lovely labs (I love labs, but they love birds) running around off leash.

georgia strait said...

You always see the things that I miss! You are a good photographer! Like Rain, I tend to look at the big picture (even more than she does) and I miss a lot.
I know the waterfront is not a very inspiring choice for next week - but I couldn't come up with anything. Here are some more ideas - all not very inspiring - Departure Bay, Commercial Street, The Old City Quarter, Protection Island, Neck Point. Help me out here!

Anonymous said...

That poppy is beautiful, as well as the remembrance.

I love it when we go on walks. Was that a thistle in the last picture? Its huge and the stem seems much more like a cactus.

dilling said...

gawilli, yeah, giant treacherous thistles....

captain corky said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm always amazed by your pics.