Saturday, November 17, 2007

presstime

Neighbours sick of prostitution
Street frequented by hookers is briefly shut down by protest
Krista Charke , Daily NewsPublished: Saturday, November 17, 2007



Traffic was brought to a standstill on Victoria Road on Friday evening when more than 100 frustrated neighbours literally took back their street.
They blocked traffic, blew air horns and held up signs to protest the regular flow of prostitutes' customers who cruise through the area.
The spontaneous neighbourhood rally was held between Milton and Selby Streets at 6:30 p.m.

Cars blocked the road at both intersections and people shouted "No more johns" to passing vehicles, including a police car that flicked on its lights in acknowledgement before driving away.
"We're here to take back the night," said Jane McDonald, who lives in the area.
Although she's sympathetic to people in the area struggling with addictions, she has no tolerance for crime.
"We have to live here as well and as much as the police do for us, it's not enough," she said.
"It's like all those (drug) arrests they made the other night, it doesn't really matter because they're all back out on the street the next day anyway."
Tina Moreira, 26, moved from Vancouver to Nanaimo last year. She says she can't believe how many johns cruise the area that she would like to call home.
"They disrupt our entire lives," said Moreira.
She added that she's been approached more than a dozen times by johns while she has been out walking her dog or on her way to work.
"I can't walk up and down my own road without being harassed," she said.
During the brief 30 minute protest, a mix of car horns, air horns, shouts and cheers filled the air. Although it was over quickly, protesters said they were pleased with participation in the rally.
"If the cops aren't going to do anything and nobody else is, what are you going to do, but do it yourself," added Adrian Parker.

KCharke@nanaimodailynews.com

***** we actually closed down five intersections...we had several groups out....in several places...and I hope we do it again...and again...and again.
Anyway, I know I said I would write about it but I really am tired. I was in front of cameras a few times for interviews which is gut-wrenching for me. I am not a good spokesperson and this was not my party, but two channels covered it and wanted to interview several people...anyhoo, mostly I got edited down to one quote or cut entirely, so all the anxiety of being in front of the camera was wasted. Also, it made me feel quite open to "paybacks" from the folks we're hoping to get rid of, but they probably aren't watching
A-Channel or Chek-6 news anyway...so that was useless anxiety, too. Lots of running around for balloons(yup, balloons), and bbq supplies, etc. We couldn't get the fire jugglers out in time and our bonfire didn't light...and the live musicians didn't show, either. Hmmmmn. We'll have to spend a little longer working out the details of the next rally.
But I am wiped out...can only maintain the momentum for so long.
Nighty night.

6 comments:

katy said...

well done Dilling to you and all those who took part, way to go girl.
hope you get some zzzzzzzzz

Michael Colvin said...

Take back the streets. I love it. Well done to you all. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I hope the momentum builds and builds!

Anonymous said...

With the RCMP on a diet of Humble Pie lately, we may even see them doing their jobs a bit more. No more 2 hour lunches at the Whitespot, 45 minute breaks at Tim's?

Heck, who am I kidding.

Gardenia said...

YAY! Proud of you - I think its the only way to put fear and trembling into those cruising idiots. Get the news down there. Ha! Its time to turn the tables and empower the residents rather than the johns.

Heidi the Hick said...

I really think you're onto something here.

Those guys should be ashamed of themselves and I think it's awesome that you're all taking the power back. I'm so happy to hear that you're all going to stage more of these rallies.

Man, fire jugglers and a live band? Amazing! I'd take that kind of noise over pushers and johns any day.

I"m really proud of you. I want you to know that.