Sunday, November 18, 2007

Morden Mine

We have decided to take two weeks between Photo Assignment Nanaimo so that we don't run out of stuff to take pictures of in the first month... no, not really, but it does take the pressure off a bit. I couldn't have made it down to the waterfront this week at all. There was a bit of a frenzied rush to make something happen around here. And, in case you hadn't heard, Rain has been sick, too, so please drop by and make her feel better. Before my car broke down(twice) this week(ask me later, it's too painful now), Michael and I got out to the Morden Mine for a walk.
It's a park that we have been meaning to get to for quite a while... there is a lovely trail there, but I will save those photos for another day...cuz(did I mention?) my car is broke down and we may not get out for any dog walks other than town walks for a couple of days...but there are some cool, old historical things here in the southend I could show you... and some GREAT old houses, too.

This is one of those places that Nanaimo should preserve/restore, but hasn't.
We have lots of shopping, though. And apparently, more malls to come.
So much for revitalizing downtown...dang, did I just say that?!?

The lighting could not have been more perfect the day we were here. It was amazing.



And despite the fact that this is history that maybe should be preserved, it is very cool to see that Nature, in the end, wins all.





That She can, in fact, take something so stark and ugly and actually transform it into an art form in her own fashion is pretty amazing, isn't it?




I thought so, anyway.







And that's that. It's all I got. Really. I'll show you the trail tomorrow, eh?
Have a good one. G'nite.






5 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

1) Nature always takes over.

2) Your town has its collective head up its collective butt. More shopping malls! Spend more money on stuff and ignore crime! Let the historic part of town crumble- we don't care cuz we just got a great buy lotsa crap to fill the van with!

3) Nature gets a helping hand at being beautiful when you're standing there with a camera.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Heidi - you have a way of finding the most interesting subjects and adding your interpretation and perspective to come up with amazing photos. Did I tell you that I love it when we go on walks?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful gallery of photos with a great slant on nature taking over to create its own work of art.

raine said...

I haven't been to this park - where is it? I love these pictures...Jamie is from the old mining families out of Cumberland and loves to look at any of the mining spots.

Michael Colvin said...

I have a fascination for these places. There's nothing better than wandering a ruin that nature has reclaimed. Thanks for the trip!