Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nanaimo sucks some days....lots

If one more person tells me one more time about how progressive and forward thinking Nanaimo is in dealing with its addicts/pushers/pimps and prostitute problems, I think I will vomit. I have already spent too much of a brilliantly sunny day crying. Who knew that finally owning my own home would turn into such a crushing event?!? Some days, like today, I feel bone-deep, dead-dog tired.
What is so progressive about herding them into my neighbourhood?!? Huh?!?
Another break-in up the alley. Crack-shack up the alley. Altercation in the street between the neighbour, the crackheads, the other neighbours and myself. Will anything come of it? I doubt it.
While the cops make one bust in the back alley, up front on Victoria Road twelve drug deals are made.
I think at least 60 percent of all foot traffic on Victoria Road/Finlayson and the alleyways of this three block area during the daylight are hookers/dealers/pimps and those looking to score, or those shooting up or smoking up AFTER they score. Car traffic? Probably 20 percent of the cars on my street in the daytime are Johns, dealers or people looking to buy crack. After midnight? I wouldn't venture to guess. I couldn't. It would be high, high, high, though. No pun intended.
I know there may be some of you out there reading this thinking I should not go on about it, no bad press, yadda yadda...Nanaimo, Harbour City, all pretty and lights and malls and oh, downtown shopping....but the southend is part of Nanaimo, as well(the part with the real history), and we're suffering for all those lights and pretty pretty and downtown shopping.
One day...........if I could have my way....

11 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Oh Dill...

I really hate this for you! Any luck on the media front?

Olly said...

Have you ever spoke at a town council meeting? They need this read to them and have to answer as to why they have not responded to your letters, and to others that have wrote in.

I can not even fathom what you are, on a grand scale, putting up with. And yes! You should keep talking about this. It's strong people like you who get things happening.

Anonymous said...

How about copying every Nanaimo posts, including all of the supporting comments and shipping the whole lot off to the CBC. Somebody somewhere has got to care enough to blow this popcorn stand wide open.

Anonymous said...

i'm with wellies.
you should contact the current!!!! they love this stuff.

Michael Colvin said...

Why is it that decent law abiding people always seem to get the shaft these days? The justice system is a joke.

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh my gosh, Barb has a point! It makes perfect sense, because they're always looking for controversial human interest stories.

It still shocks me that criminals are allowed to go about their business while law abiding citizens suffer for it. I have lived a very sheltered life.

I'm sorry, that this wears you down. You're so sensitive and don't deserve to have to endure this.

emily said...

I HATE Nanaimo.

8 years since I moved there and it's never gotten any better, only worseworseworse.

And I realllllly hate it when things make my friends cry.

SCREW YOU, NANAIMO!!!!!!

raine said...

This really would make me crazy. When I just have neighbours having a party or loud teenages, etc. it makes me crazy, so I can't imagine.
Can't. Imagine.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Yes, much of what I've seen in all your photo essays shows me the beauty, but it's true that all lovely places have a dark side to them. (Our beloved Harstine Island is riddled with meth labs...) I'm sorry that you're having to deal with all this firsthand.

Anonymous said...

moved here 5 years ago realy cant stand it all it dose is rain there nothing to do in the winter i grew up in kelowna and im going to move back by jan 2010 they have 8 ski hills in 1 and hafe hours drive hot summers and more jobs and people out side of canada know where kelowna is plus the at least have a cjfl and a whl team and the best ski hills in canada and no rain in the summer and the weather is 30 plus on most from may to oct days and no ferry

Wrench said...

Nanaimo Sucks serious balls. When the entire downtown can't park in front of a business that you want to go shopping in that's what I call bullshit.

To top it off getting a ticket for parking in front of a driveway to an abandoned lot that has the driveway with giant blocks on it to prevent entry that's what I call horse choad.