Thursday, November 29, 2007

One more day....

Namoblopogofrodoemotozoto is nearly done...not that I signed up for it or anything...I just played along. I hate "joining" things. I think I did pretty well. I know some of the posts were just daily rantings about the hood, but that WAS what was on my mind at the time. Today, though, I am struggling. I was going to post something about my heroes, but I have a pretty good idea what some people think of some of my heroes and I didn't want that hornet's nest open in my Comments section. I've been visiting old friends again lately. I am reading Watership Down(which is what got me thinking about heroes in the first place) again. Without exaggerating, I can say that I have read this book at least 30 times, if not closer to 40. I read it the first time when I was eleven. When I got to the last page, I opened it right back up to page one and read it again. I am 39 now, and still visit this book regularly. I am still reading the same copy, taped together, the pages thin, discoloured and finger-smudged, with pencil and pen in the margins(big loopy child's writing and avid teenangster's notes). I think this book was instrumental in forming the foundations of morality, justice, acceptance, truth and heroism in my life...or maybe it was the first time I saw my ideals in understandable words. It made sense. And yeah, I know it's about rabbits. It still makes sense.
Do you have a book like this?
Thank goodness I already have tomorrow's post somewhat mapped out. I will be so happy not to post on December first that I will probably have to post about it!!!! It was a good exercise...
See ya'll tomorrow?


13 comments:

Principle of Vice said...

I don't have a book with which I have such a strong relationship, but Watership Down is certainly one of my personal all-time greats. I still have my copy from grade school, too.
To say Watership Down is about rabbits is like saying Moby Dick is about whaling, Catch-22 is about WW II or To Kill a Mockingbird is about the South.

I didn't realize you were doing a blog a day. I guess I just thought you were verbose. Congratulations.

Olly said...

Hornets nest or not, they are your heros and you should be proud!

Wow, that must be a great book!

dilling said...

POV! More of my favorite books!!!!
olly....hornets are not my heroes, though....

captain corky said...

I remember Watership Down being a pretty graphic cartoon. It traumatized lots of kids.

captain corky said...

Not me though... I was already traumatized by that Mr. McGregor in Peter Rabbit.

Michael Colvin said...

[Namoblopogofrodoemotozoto] Funny!

Wow. You've really read it that many times? I liked it when you said you flipped right back to page one. Now I want to read it too.

I've read the Lord of The Rings maybe three times and the Narnia Chronicles five or six. I loved both these books as a kid when I needed an escape.

Anonymous said...

First, I would love to read about your heroes. Hornets nest or not.

Second, I too will be glad when this blo me thing is over. Although I am in such a rhythm now with posting, it will be interesting to see what happens.

As for books, I can't say that I really have a favorite. You know my partiality to children's books and there's really not much of a read there. Over the last three years I have several books of a theological nature. It has been an awakening of sorts for this old soul. My beliefs have been challenged and rearranged and now look completely different. But change is good. One of my favorite authors has been Marcus Borg. In fact I saw him last year and he was outstanding.

Well. Since you asked.

Heidi the Hick said...

Freaky...I was thinking about writing about heroes too.

(I'm actually kind of feeling like I'm using all my words somewhere else and hardly have room for blog word!)

Shamefully, I've never read that book. I must. Last time you recommended a book it really got me!

I read WHO HAS SEEN THE WIND and THE DIVINERS in high school and they struck me.

Before that, I was reading the Black Stallion books and getting more and more ticked off because they were just so damn unrealistic. You wanna talk hornet's nest? I can't tell you how many people have hated me for saying anything against those books!

I loved DOODLEBUG and THE PONY PROBLEM. That's some good reading. I still have my copies of them and yes, my daughter loved them too!

dilling said...

Real Life Lessons I learned best in my life through literature were Watership Down, To Kill a Mockingbird, Catch-22, An American Childhood, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Wizard of Loneliness...Lord of the Rings and the Once and Future King, The Scarlet Ibis(Heidi, speaking of Doodlebug, have you read this[The Scarlet Ibis] story or is it the same one? And I read Maugerite Henry book after Marguarite Henry Book and though I didn't LOVE the Black Stallion books, I did ador the movie.).

katy said...

I have never read the book, saw the film and cried and cried, think i might like to read the book now thankyou

Marni said...

This is one book I've never read -- I'll add it to my list since it is so highly recommended.

Thanks! :)

FOUR DINNERS said...

Watership Down is supurb. I cried at the end. Still I was only 33 at the time....

Victoria said...

great great book.