Sunday, November 25, 2007

Photo Assignment: Nanaimo Waterfront

I know you've all been waiting for this, right? We all decided to take two weeks between assignments so that we would have more time to work on them...I waited until Thursday to even get down there. Go figure. And, again, I went totally photo gaga and took so many I can barely choose what to post. And, again, go figure. The Nanaimo waterfront on a cool, crisp November morning. The waters were still and calm. The docks were salted but it was still slippery...and cold. Winter is here. There were no tourists and very few folks out strolling...pretty quiet down here. That's fine. That's how I like things.
When Michael and I get old and want the ammenities of condo life, we hope to have a place like this...one of those upper floor "garden" apartments. Some of these patios are bigger than the yard we have now! Not to mention the view.

Mostly all of my photos....okay, ALL of my photos were taken down on the docks and not on the promenade. I didn't like any of the photos I took up there...but the boats! Oh the glorious boats...fishing boats and sailboats and rowboats...canoes, dragonboats, pontoon boats, tug boats, yachts and ferries...kayaks...and even some seaplanes.


Boats for the trendy(get it?).



Boats for hippies.





Boats for rednecks.





Boats for traditionalists.





Boats full of colour and texture and history...I want to know all their stories.







I want to know where they went. Don't you?








I want to know who sits here. I love their colour choices.









All the charm of any waterfront for me is on the docks themselves, and under them. It reminds me of some of the good things about growing up here, where I wandered the docks and Percival Landing for years, feeding the seagulls warm, overly salty popcorn bought with pocket change from the Yard Birds/Seamart store...
So that's it for me here...but there's more on Flickr.
Who picks next?








12 comments:

Biddie said...

That was incredible. I HAVE to make it out west one of these days. It is soo beautiful there. Just makes me miss the water even more.
Love the photos.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures in sepia tones. Of course the other are gorgeous also, but I keep going back to those. Wonder what the next photo assignment will be?

Do you suppose the people in the hippie boat are really hippies?

georgia strait said...

Great pictures! I especially love the hippie boat. I have never seen that one before.... and the under the dock pic is really interesting. Whose turn is it next? Is it yours?

raine said...

I love your sepia photos - and the Emo one is perfect, compostion, tells a story, perf. I wish I could pull a post together like you can. The "hippie boat" belongs to the folks that own Gina's and Delicados, I hear. and it's your turn next to pick. Where? Where?

raine said...

Where I grew up, I don't think there were any other kind of motors than Mercs. I like your photo of Swell, too. I want to go on a trip in that boat..

Michael Colvin said...

I've never seen a hippy boat before. I could wander around there for hours. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

this comment encompasses a few posts ~ dial up's right frikkin' slooooow.
-brrrr. be right cold out in booat today!
-knock knock knock on wood...
-frost heave is so stunning it makes me quezzy (s'pose it don't take much though...). i remember when you showed some last fall....
i enlarged the pic and the details are precious, like crystal faery castles!

Heidi the Hick said...

I'm five chapters into THE HIGHEST TIDE and I'm totally getting where you came from...!

dilling said...

Gawilli~have been informed (in a subsequent comment)that the hippie boat is owned by the owners of the hippiest eating establishments in town. Funny enough, one of my favorite restaurants and one of my least favorite restaurants. I love the sepia ones, too.
Heidi~honestly....that book is SO VERY my hometown...literally, of course, and the feel of how he writes it.

Anonymous said...

I'm digging the sepia shots, and I love that you thought to shoot under the docks. I like the framing of the one with the birds on the wire -- the first thing I see is a "z". Can you see it? How about an alphabet photo challenge, now that would be something, finding letters in everyday scenes!
Great job Dilling, where next?

Anonymous said...

Yup, the hippy boat is a riot. I've seen the hippy cars, but never a hippy boat! (And 8 hay? Hmmm.) Gosh, these are great. I'm loving this exercise you're all doing!

dilling said...

Yay, Kingfisher!!! Ate Hay, you got it!!!!
Krista, I do see that Z, and finding the alphabet in nature would be challenging, wouldn't it? Maybe that should just be an ongoing assignment...it could take lots of time.