Monday, November 12, 2007

If I could have my way....


Daybreak by Maxfield Parrish

I would live on a farm.....on an island with a large crop of eggplants for baba ganoush. It would be a big enough island for myself and for all of my loves. You all know who you are, dont you? I would have a boat to my island and you could only arrive with an invitation...unless I already love you and then that is invitation enough.
There on the farm on the island, we would grow veggies and hops and grapes, have goats(Nubian goats, preferably), a large and thick-legged horse or two...hmmmn, maybe a Percheron? Definitely a Canadian. Chickens and ducks and geese. I wouldn't mind a couple of Scottish cows. I wonder how much it would cost to ship some over?!? Windmills and solar power. Maybe some way to use the ocean currents for power.
Always the light and colour would look like a Maxfield Parrish painting...
I would give back the first batch of everything to the Mother, the Earth. I would live "in the correct way." I would say thanks every day to the the sun and the moon...and to god, whatever I conceive him to be.
I am the first generation of my family removed entirely from the earth and it's blessings...though my mother is grateful not to be a farmer, I am not. Maybe it skips a generation. I have felt lost my whole life and only in my late 30's has it come to me that what I really WANT is a life at one with the earth...but am daunted by it, as well, raised entirely on packaged food, microwaved meals, cable television, walking on concrete and holding the world at arm's length.
In a world of chaos, I know where and when I have touched the divine...I know when my soul is singing loudest...it has always been somewhere the sky is long and drawn out, the deep blue, the high peaks, the chuckling river, the red salmon, the shaggy(and sometimes stinky) pelt of nature, the smell of hot dirt after the first rain, space...I need a mountain, an island, peace and quiet, sunrises and sunsets, I need balance...
I will get there one day.
One day.

p.s. I miss you, Em. Thanks for the blog idea.

16 comments:

raine said...

sniff. I love these farm posts. If I win 649 I will buy farms for you and em. Not sure I can afford rabbit island (thank goodness I finally know what it is). I have lived wth both solar power and with wind and trust me, solar is quieter. You guys can come and stay with me when you need to stock up on those few rare items you can't grow yourselves...truffle oil, coffee, fluevogs, you know. Or, I will bring them to you so Katie can ride the horsies. Aidan won't ride a horse but he would like to tuck the pumpkins in at night.

raine said...

Presumptuous me. If you give me an invitation :).

dilling said...

hahahaha...I think Em is already looking to buy a Shetland pony for the kids, isn't she?

Anonymous said...

I will cook, wash dishes AND do windows!

Michael Colvin said...

I love the way your words make pictures in my head.

I often think about escaping from the world to my own island too. Not sure if I want to be doing any digging tho! ;)

captain corky said...

I would love to visit your world and watch the Salmon run with you. That would be amazing, but I couldn't stay for long because I would have to get back to TV. ;)

Heidi the Hick said...

You're gonna make me weep!

We're going to get what we need. We just have to put the steps in place. We'll get there.

We deserve it.

CindyDianne said...

Go get it! Can I come? Please? I promise I am a good farm steward and I know stuff about cows.

CindyDianne said...

I used to live in Arizona and had buddies that were Hopi. Does that help my case at all?

dilling said...

Well, of course everybody here is coming...we're gonna have a big old island warming party there...

Michael Colvin said...

I love that picture by the way.

Olly said...

You may find this hard to believe, with the problems that plague this city, but I feel very much that Vcr Island has been a great life-changing escape. Sure, life hasn't been perfect here for me at times....but I'd only move back to the Lower Mainland being dragged, kicking and screaming all the way.

Oh, and on my perfect dream island there would have to be a lot of chocolate. And Kettle corn, from Shady Mile!

dilling said...

Olly, I might agree if I didn't live here. Although I have made lifelong friends, Nanaimo has shattered a lot of my hopes. The joy of owning my first home is null and void, my peace is gone, and most particularly I feel my compassion shrivelling up... I have lived on a lot of islands in my life, and this hasn't felt like Island Life, at all.

Olly said...

Honestly? I'd be happier in the Kootenays, or almost anywhere north. I never fully adjusted to the dark rainy days on the coast after growing up on the cold but sunny prairies. Really gets to me.

Yeah, I did know that this city had issues, but...wow, who knew how bad, eh?

emily said...

Beautiful post, soul sister. Someday.

And I agree, I didn't experience so called slow paced Island Life at all. It took me moving to the biggest city I've ever lived in to get the slow paced, laid back life style that Nanaimo robbed from me.

emily said...

And I miss you, too.