Sunday, November 04, 2007

Photo Assignment Nanaimo: Piper's Lagoon

I got so excited by this project that I took too many photos. Then I had to go through and tweak and crop and highlight a hundred pictures...then I had to choose which ones to show you and I still ended up with too many. I simply couldn't stop myself. I LOVE this park. I hope everyone else is having fun, too. This is my favorite park in Nanaimo. When we lived in the north end, this is where I walked with Maggie nearly every day. Whenever I return, I know that I am walking not only with Eem-er, but also with the ghost of Maggie at my heels, both of them snuffling up giant nosefulls of rabbit- scented air.
This is a place of magic...a whole lot of something special wrapped up in a small package. The lighting is rarely bad here, even on the gloomiest of days. Thursday, however, was a brilliantly blue morning with an eye-wateringly cold wind. Somehow, the shock of it put Erin and me into a shrieking good mood and wound the dogs right up.

From the giant logs tossed on the numerous beaches to the smallest bits of beach debris, from the sandy spots to the giant rocks vaulting out of the ocean, from soft moss and sweet succulents to the gnarled, ancient Garry_Oak , this park is texture, texture, texture. You could point a camera in any direction and find something captured in your lens worth sharing.



It's almost too easy here...don't you think?


Just one photo of Shack Island. This time. Gah, that's hard. Just one?



The graffitti tree. Arbutus.





See which way the wind comes from? It's like a combover, isn't it?






But where the wind doesn't dominate, look how crazy the limbs grow! Isn't that wild? I LOVE this park. Did I mention that I love this park?!?







More Garry Oaks rising from fields of gold.









Sigh.









Tide was in...winter makes them higher and in the coming winter storms, these giant logs will be swept away and brought back in numerous times, laid out in everchanging artistic arrangements.







So much to see here...I could go on and on...and on...but there are others out there with Photo Assignment Nanaimo going on. So put on your walking shoes and get on out there....








...or enjoy our park another way.
Thanks for coming along.
























































11 comments:

katy said...

want to play i want to play!
beautiful, i can see why you love it.
some of the photos would not load so will have to call back again, but that will be a pleasure and a treat to see the views again

Victoria said...

sooooo cool

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I love those gnarly oaks.

Anonymous said...

Your excitement and enthusiasm is definitely contagious. It's rubbing off on me! Lovely photos, dilling, I'm glad you've had so much fun and that I've joined up with you folks.

georgia strait said...

Great, Dilling! It would be a lot more fun with a doggie, too....

raine said...

I can't decide which of your photos I like best. Ok, maybe it's the close up of the driftwood. No it's the Oak tree. No, definately the goldy red leaves with the cove behind. Maybe Shack Island. PErfect in black and white. I took some of the leaves mixed in with seaweed too, something so west coasty about that...
isn't this fun?!

raine said...

Georgia! You should get a doggie..

Olly said...

I think I like the goldie-red leaves with the cove behind best, too. It was a tough call with so many nice shots. I would love to play as well, but would have to seriously upgrade my camera first.

It's been about 3 years since I've been to that park and I even have a friend who owns one of those shacks on shack island. It's really only about a 10 minute drive. (Kicking myself...)

captain corky said...

I just love getting my exercise this way, but If I lived up there I would actually go to the parks myself. At least to drink. They're so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics

emily said...

I just realized I've never been there. Take me sometime?

Michael Colvin said...

You realy had fun with this one didn't you? Great pics. :)