Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Remember

You remember when Duke found her dumped in the woods by the river during the only really long, hot, dry spell of the summer? Her eyes were still blue, she couldn't really see yet? Wasn't fully weaned and I thought she was a boy and was going to name her Arlo or Woody? You remember how she was so tiny she slept in Maggie's old dog dish, which I (as of then) did not have the heart to let Eem-er use? Remember? How I didn't think we'd really keep her because I KNEW how devastated Michael had been(as was I) when we lost Crook and he didn't want the possibility of going through that again?
Remember how Eemer and "Kitten" both fit on one bed?

Well, things change. Arlo became Fishbone and grew up. Her eyes are green. Eemer has Maggie's old dish now, instead of a plastic butter tub. They still share the bed, but someone is always shoving someone else to the very edge.


Yesterday, in the final act of acceptance that we are, indeed, owned by this cat, I delivered her into the hands of the Island Vet Clinic (and promptly fell on my face in the icy parking lot) for her spay, tattoo and vaccinations. It has been a long time since I had to do that...Eemer and Crook both came to us "fixed" and Maggie was a puppy when I was 23.
I guess I forgot how shocking it can be to a person with such a fragile temperament as myself. When I got Little Fish back yesterday, all shaved and caved-in looking, stitched up and upset, I cried. She is so miserable and there is no comfort for her...and as far as she is concerned, I did this to her. And she's right. I did.








I just hope she'll remember who brought her out of those woods...soon. Poor kitten.



13 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh, Fishbone. Poor little thing.

Oh Dilling, poor sad you. She's going to get over it. I know this won't make your cat feel better but you know you did the right thing.

My dad got a new cat a couple of weeks ago. He wanted another cat to keep ol Spooky company, and to make sure he'd always have a good cat in the barn, in preparation for the future when Spooky won't be around anymore. From his description she sounds a lot like Fishbone...

...except that I've never seen her. She took off for three days as soon as she arrived at the farm. He put food out for her and finally he saw her. The next day he aaaaaalmost had her convinced that she could stay still for a pet, until Spooky horned in for a pat and the little cat took off.

He's worried! It's getting cold! He wants to take her to the vet and get her shots. And get her spayed. So she'll stick around and not create new barn cats that he can't find homes for. But. He's afraid if he tames her and then takes her to the vet she'll be kind of unhappy.

What to do.

Your little cat has a great home. She'll forgive you.

dilling said...

get her spayed....it is so much kinder in the long run...it's the short term that killing me.

Olly said...

Poor little Fishbone. She will forgive you.

I can't believe how big she is. Looks like you will have to upgrade to a bigger pet bed to keep the peace!

Heidi the Hick said...

I know. The short term is hard.

raine said...

If Fishbone was my kitty, I would keep calling her Fishy for short. I have a bad habit of shortening people's names. She'll forget, way, way before you do, probably by next week. And you'll probably give her lots of treats and cream and TLC...

CindyDianne said...

Poor Fishbone. Is she feeling better today?

Are you?

Biddie said...

Poor lil kitty. The good thing about pets from loving homes is that they ALWAYS forgive us.
It's forgiving ourselves that is harder :)
LOVE, love, LOVE the photos of lil Fishbone.

Anonymous said...

i don't feel sorry for her. right now i am experiencing the consequences of not getting fix... i'll get kevie done soon..
i think fishbone is lucky lucky. she got you.

Michael Colvin said...

She has grown so much! She's so cute and has an even cuter name!

dilling said...

tod...you should see her tattoo...it's a fishbone!! I will try to photograph it when she feels better.

katy said...

poor kitty, and poor you hate seeing our pets in pain it really hurts huh.
but she will be running around having fun again real soon ((((hugs to both of you))))

Marni said...

That's one thing about animals - they forget and then love you unconditionally. She'll be fine.

Hope you feel better after that nasty tumble!

Victoria said...

awwwwww