Friday, September 22, 2006

It's my birthday and I'll mop if I want to, mop if I want to

I know I have mentioned my need to clean once or twice on this blog...it's not anything too irrational...at least I don't think so. My house does not look like a biosphere bubble or anything...in fact, right now, it seems downright dirty to me. I would take a photo of my floors, but it is far too embarrassing. Honestly. The desire broke down a bit after Maggie left me...I didn't want to sweep up the last of her hair or wash away the smell of her from my furniture throws...it took a while to get it back, that cleaning bug, but on mornings like today, the broom feels nice in my hands and the mirrors are shiny...and I love that feeling of supreme accomplishment that I get when I look at the end result. This looks like a dream I honestly might have at night...a good dream, a clean dream...I might be smelling Mr. Clean and Murphy's Oil Soap and be smiling in my sleep....aaahhhh....sweet, sweet dreams. My sister has these dreams, too, only she smells lysol. My mom vaccuums every day....
The reason this comes up is this...last night, my good friend DB was here for a girl's cocktail hour. Michael came home just as I was lamenting how horrible my floor looks because I have broken, yet again, another mop. I don't know how I keep breaking them. All I am doing is MOPPING. Anyhow, Michael laughs and says with my birthday coming up, maybe he could just wrap up a new mop. DB told him "NO WAY are you getting her a mop for her birthday. That's like getting a vaccuum for Christmas!" I didn't dare to tell her that I ASKED for a vaccuum once for Christmas from my dad....and I really would like a mop for my birthday...a Super Duper Unbreakable Mop... and these!!!!

Look at this... they make sinks for mops!!!! Isn't it beautiful? I want one of those in the best/worst way....and an automatic dust mop like this little cutie ....


Ah, a mop, just a mop....simple enough... why do they disappoint me so? I really want to have a clean floor today so it looks like I am doing the old Cinderella again today... so I better get to it...I can't have clean windows and a dirty floor...have a good weekend, all.

12 comments:

Biddie said...

I wish that you lived closer..I would let you mop all night long.
I hate cleaning..HATE IT..But I do have one weird obession..Vacuuming. I will vacuum 'till the cows come home and then some.
Happy, happy, birthday. So glad that you've got micheal and Emma to celebrate with this year!

dilling said...

it's actually on Monday but who celebrates on a Monday?!? thanks

Crafty Missus said...

your birthday!!! well i feet really clever, since i already sent your present (tee hee hee)!!!i think that sink just for the mop is a perfect idea, it grosses me out using the sink or tub and dodgy in the toilet.
our kitchen sink, who i have affectionatly named shirley, has her own room in the pantry, , unfortunatly this is where dishes go and get 'forgotten' about.
and i don't know how i feel about a baby in a mop suit with all these cats....

dilling said...

Our kitchen sink is nameworthy, as well...she is original to the indoor plumbing of the house, with a slightly sloping drain field on either side of two sinks...all white porcelain. She is a beauty and part of why I fell in love with the house! I will have to think of a name, now, and you know how hard that is for me!!

gawilli said...

First - Happy soon to be Birthday!

Cleaning is not my forte. I'm pretty honest about it. There are many more things to do that I enjoy more. In fact I spent much too much time in earlier days cleaning, and there's not a darn thing to show for those lost hours! Although I will say that I asked for a vacuum for Christmas. If I have to clean, give me the best possible tools so it goes quick and easy. Really!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Happy Birthday Dilling!!!!!!!!!

katy said...

happy birthday for monday, hope you get a damn good mop! no definately no household gifts for birthday/xmas presents. hate cleaning just going to start mine now, thats if i can force myself off the pc!

Crafty Missus said...

shirley is also a white porcelin sink with drainage sides, only one sink though it is really large. she is definatly original plumbing.
i've written a song in her honour.

Heidi the Hick said...

Cleaning...It's true what Biddie says about vacuuming. I suspect the humming settles the noise in her head, eh Biddie???

I don't love cleaning but I love when it's clean. I never really learned to clean. My mom let it go until it was necessary if ya know what I mean, then kicked us all out of the house for the day and went nuts.

But the mop sink...let me tell you about a fantasy of mine. When I get my farmhouse I want a mud room. And in that mudroom I'll have a nice tiled corner with a shower head and a drain and that's where I'll scrub my dogs because there will be more. (I saw the pug in that painting!!!) It'll also be the boot washing and bucket sloshing place!

The porcelain sink is another one. The house I have my eye on I suspect has been altered enough to have lost most of that wonderful old stuff. But I'm keeping my eye open for a used one!

(When you're done at Biddie's house feel free to come over to mine! I've got beer!)

Michael Colvin said...

Happy Birthday Dilling!

dilling said...

Biddie and Hickchic...I am envisioning a working holiday...I DO work for beer, quite often. Travelling in the vw van, stopping to clean houses along the way....hmmm...I might like that!!!!

ldbug said...

Well, Cinderella, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and get the magic mop you've always wanted (even if it turns into a pumpkin at night) ;-)