Thursday, September 14, 2006

I can breathe again

Up early, cup of joe and out the door to the ferry...shuttle on over, turn right around and come home again...but not empty handed! She looks, for all the world, in this first photo like Maggie...but of course, she is her own dog and I have figured that out already!!! She has had a rough start to her life...or first third of her life, I guess. Used for backyard breeding in St. John's, she escaped, dragging her chain behind her. She went to the SPCA. They turned her over to BeaglePaws, a Newfoundland Beagle Rescue. Her poor beagle ears were tattered from untreated infection... nobody knows how many litters she might have had but since she is so small, her puppies were pretty popular, I imagine.
She is a little camera shy...she will have to get over that living with me. She is 13 inches high, 13 pounds heavy. She is darling...a little, little girl. So far as I can tell, she doesn't know many(any?) commands but she is still pretty good, though completely unsocialized to other dogs...she is finally asleep and maybe I can take some better photos now that she has quit moving...and I can take a snooze, as well...maybe. We've had a bit of playtime already, she tried to eat a matchbox car(vw bus), she peed on the floor, and nearly had a fight with Yuko...after the ferry trip, the car trips, the flight from Newfoundland, changing hands numerous times, I'd say she has had a full week.
She won't hold still for a photo...you can just see the tatters of her ear at the top of the photo...it's healed now so it doesn't look too bad, but it is more than noticeable...anyhow, I should take advantage of her sleep to get some things done around here....open a beer, maybe.
Her name was Sylvan originally...Rescue called her Charlotte. I don't like either of those, but should come up with something quick...so send you suggestions....more later...

13 comments:

Biddie said...

I am so happy that your girl arrived safely. She is pretty, I know that she is in the right home, finally. I can't really think of any names for her, but I do not like Sylvan, she is much too pretty for a Sylvan.
What an amazing journey she has been on. If only she could talk...

dilling said...

then she could tell what name to give her!!!

Biddie said...

I picked Ruby Tuesday because it was stuck in my head when we were going to pick her up. KC wanted Ruby Soho, so it's Ruby Tuesday Soho. Poor puppy. It does suit her, though. Maybe it'll come to you as you spend a little more time with her. Like Faith. 'Cause you had faith that you would find YOUR dog. Ok, maybe that's lame...You'll think of something..

dilling said...

I was thinking of just using Scarlet, instead of Charlotte...but I don't like "Gone with the Wind" but I could call her Scarlet Johansen...I don't know...Michael and can think about it tonight...she is already awake again and looking to go out...

Biddie said...

Scarlet is s good name. Better than Charlotte and not as confusing for the Girl. So happy for you...

gawilli said...

She is beautiful and she has such expressive eyes. I think she has been kind of an orphan until now when she has found a good home. I would probably call her Annie. Pretty silly, huh?

Michael Colvin said...

She's cute and her story is so sad. It makes me mad when I hear things like this. I KNOW that she finally has a good home and will be loved.

Crafty Missus said...

how about arse hat!
chances are she was living in an area of town called shea heights (where my beloved duck pond is)...
you could call her shea, or ducky!

Crafty Missus said...

how about arse hat!
chances are she was living in an area of town called shea heights (where my beloved duck pond is)...
you could call her shea, or ducky!

Heidi the Hick said...

arse hat, that's funny!


YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is wonderful!!!!

Faith isn't such a bad name. Makes sense.

She's adorable and I am so pleased that you have found each other. You can heal each other's hearts.

katy said...

she is a little cutie i like the name lady, maybe she will be able to be a lady now she found a good home

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I like the name Faith, Scarlet is good too ...but Lady is kinda nice as well. I always come up with ridiculous names for my pets...uh Abby the Abysinian guinea pig.

Anonymous said...

What a precious little angel and a lucky little girl. Love ya. Scoob