Friday, November 03, 2006

rain, rain, go away

Lordy, the rain is HERE...it's 10 am and looks like 6pm. It is grey as far as you can see...which really isn't that far. It is damp and miserable and it already feels like it's been raining for weeks. Welcome to a West Coast winter. It's a good thing I have been out walking for HOURS the past few days of crisp, cold sunshine so that I will have a couple days worth of photos to share. This is my car window...can you see through it? No? Neither can I. The dogs see to that. Each and every day, there are between one and four dogs in this car. I can't keep up with the window washing...look at all those happy noseprints....ick.
This was the tenderest discovery out walking the other morning...our first big frost and in areas of shade, it never did melt. But look how the ice on this frozen puddle has melted away from the edge of this leaf. Isn't that beautiful? I must have taken 15 pictures of this leaf. I was fascinated...and I absolutely LOVE that something like this can fascinate me. I love that part of myself.
The salmon are still running...the seals are here in the river feasting, following the currents in and out of this tidal inlet on the river. This is not the best photo, but still...a seal in a river!!! I think that is a salmon trying to get away from him. The salmon are beginning to die off now, and the river is getting that smell. My river walk days are numbered. I will have to stay away until they all wash away with the first big storm.
What's a dog walk without a dog, eh? I miss that sky already. Look how blue it was.
The cattails are puffing now... And the Fire and Rescue were at the house on the corner the other night. My curiosity is not what it used to be in these instances. I never did find out why they were here. Last night there was a "clothing swap" at one of the neighbour's. Didn't I say that I have the best neighbours? 15 women cleaned their closets and we traded. I came home with more than I left with, including two lambswool sweaters, a raincoat, something linen and something lace...and someone there has clownfeet like me!!! I scored some good weather-worthy black shoes AND, joy of joys, HushPuppies. I have wanted a pair of HushPuppies since I was a little, little(maybe four?) kid when the boy up the street got some. My mom really wanted me to be a girl...we had so many issues about shoes and dresses and ribbons, until she finally broke... I remember that day as my supreme victory. No more dresses. No more frilly ankle socks or patent leather, shiny Mary Jane shoes! Sorry, I got a little off track. I have wanted HushPuppies since I was four...honestly. I can remember. I am 38 years old and last night I got my first pair of HushPuppies for my clown feet...for free. I thank the HushPuppy Gods for smiling on me. It makes the gloom outside just the tiniest bit easier to bear.

12 comments:

Biddie said...

I have always loved Hush puppies, too! I had a pair once when I was 10...I wore them until the soles were gone, nothing left but the laces around my foot.
I love the photos. How cute is Emma? And the seal? I wish that I could go on dog walkies with you.

Crafty Missus said...

the leaf photo is stunning, missus! i love it, maybe i want that one... no wait.... lemme look some more...
my mum and i still argue (real friendly-like) over wardrobe, i know your pain, sister. don't tell your mother about the hush puppies, but do fill her in on the fluevogs, it'll make her feel good, my mum was tickled pink over the new dress....

Crafty Missus said...

me again. after i reread my comment i had a flash of telling momma eileen that i had second hand hush puppies and how discusted she would be! made me laugh out loud! thought you should know.

katy said...

me too i want to go on dog walks with you, great photos. a clothing swap party now that sounds like good fun, wouldn't mind having one of those

dilling said...

I have victory pictures of the day I broke my mom of the whole "dress like a girl thing"...my sister took them...I am grinning like a fool. I will look for them tonight and post them later...

Heidi the Hick said...

I love your sense of wonder and amazement too and I love your eye for composition and beauty!!!

ldbug said...

yay! glad the four year old in you got the shoes she always wanted:-)

Anonymous said...

I like your shoes story. I'm glad you got the shoes you always desired ;) They look real comfy. I like your doggy pic and the caittails one best. What's the West Coast like in May? Will it be warm when I drive up to Seattle?

gawilli said...

The way the ice frames the leaf so delicately is very beautiful. That is my favorite picture. Very neat. You really have to keep an eye open all the time for the simple pleasures, don't you? Where you live must be really something.

Anonymous said...

Growing up, my favourite shoes were penny loafers and saddle shoes...we were very serious about keeping shiny pennies in our shoes. I wore my first pair of real shoes in ages to IKEA yesterday and after a few hours, my feet were screaming for the wide open spaces of my holey shoes!

CindyDianne said...

Rain! We finally got some more last night. I read on the sign in front of the little fire station on the way to church yesterday that the burn ban is lifted, but only for wood. It's getting better, but we are still praying for a warm and wet winter. We need it to break the drought we've been suffering through for over a year now.

I love the picture of the leaf.

arlee said...

ooooooooooooooooooo seeing that leaf photo ensures i know what piece of art you are getting from me in trade!