Sunday, November 12, 2006

ghost of a raccoon.....

What's up with the ghosts lately? First Michael as Charlie Brown's ghost for Halloween...then the ghost of Maggie has been around, sleeping on my feet...then last night we took Emma on a last spin around the neighbourhood about 11:30 pm before bed. Emma started going a wee bit nuts on the corner. We initially thought it was the very immense kitty we saw there. I joked with Michael that the kitty was as big as a raccoon...then the kitty left very quickly. We walked a couple more steps and heard something crunch crunch crunching.... We peeked through the neighbour's hedging and saw these guys cracking walnuts underneath the tree. They were unperturbed by us...trilling and cooing in happiness and bloated gluttony. They are quite chubby and relaxed.
But LOOK at this photo...the little green glowing things are raccoon eyes, but WHAT is that puff of white? There was no cloud or fog when I took this photo...this is a digital photo so we can't blame old film. Is it the ghost of a raccoon, maybe a relative of these guys keeping watch over them? Is it the ghost of Maggie, who has been at my heels the past couple of days and never could resist a good raccoon chase? Is it the ghost of an old miner that lived and died right here in one of the mines beneath our homes and streets once upon a time ago? Or am I just giddy from all the paint fumes?

6 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

If raccoons ever develop written language, we're done for.

And I support the miner theory.

(But it's likely Maggie)

Anonymous said...

I love racoons! The first time I saw them was at Yosemite, A family of them were raiding the bins for left over pizza. They looked so cute. We don't get them here, just foxes that do the same job I suppose.

Hmmm. Spooky pics too...

Biddie said...

What an awesome photo! I wonder what it is...Maybe it's a miner...Funny how the raccoons were completely undisturbed by whatever/whoever it was...

katy said...

i scared now you got spooky photos and i was just off to bed

Crafty Missus said...

eek! i think it's maggie, trying to convince emma to give chase.
you are right about the ghost tho, spazzz has been scratching at the furniture and sleeping on my hip at night....

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound really weird, but the more I stared at the ghostly mist the smaller it seemed to get...receding right before my very eyes...honestly, I not kidding.