Friday, November 10, 2006

photographs and memories....

For hickchic , I dug out this photo of me(that's my brother, who WAS a hippie, if you couldn't tell, or maybe 1970's Seattle pre-pre-pre-grunge). I know these photos are awful but, hey, it was a 135mm camera, cutting age technology for the time. Snap a picture, wind, wind, wind the film...yikes.
See the Shaun Cassidy baby blue tee shirt? Aren't you jealous? And, for Cara, photographic evidence of the day I broke my mom...after fighting for years, literally, about how a girl should act and dress and behave...I won the argument. See the smirk on my face? I let the dress and the bow slide that day because I WON!!! See those gnarly tennis shoes? I walked out of the house that day in those and NOT shiny black patent leather Mary Janes. Look at how ridiculous that dress is! How could I possibly walk the fence line in that? Play on a swing? Slide? Wrestle that brat Dicky down to the dirt for being an ass-hat? But this day, with that smile, I knew a new day was dawning for me...so I let the dress slide one last time. I did so love that Poncho, though. I still miss that damn thing. See how my mom's hands are "encircling" me? That was not love...she would have strangled me that morning but my sister saved me with that camera! Thanks, Sis. Hee hee. One of my bestests and her mom were standing outside waiting for us(to walk to school) and she STILL talks about the volume of that fight. They didn't know if they should come in or not, to our rescue...I am laughing out loud right now thinking about it. And no story here...just my dad...in a once upon a time thing. Look at how rakishly cute he was...is. I think he joined the Navy cuz it was a sure fire way out of land-locked Iowa.
So, wow, you've seen my family now, except for my sis, who used to be the one always holding the camera. Now I will have to go come up with a photo of her, too. Just so all is fair. One little weekend post, then. Remind me later, ok?
Well, it's about time to roll on out of here to the paint store...so I am going to wrap up now...
You all have a great weekend. Be talking to you soon.

9 comments:

Biddie said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the photos. Oh, what I would have done for a Shaun Cassidy t- shirt......

Anonymous said...

A great post Dilling. I love hearing about peoples lives and there's something special about those slightly grainy old photo's that we all have tucked away. They have a mystique that doesn't come through in today's mega pixel age.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yesssss! I have no idea what happened to my Shaun Cassidy shirt! I must have worn it to rags. That and my horse T shirt. The same cool auntie gave them both to me!

I am so thankful that my mom let me wear jeans. Your mom was very fashionable! My mom Just wanted me to wash before eating...

Your dad. So cute in his uniform. And I agree with Tod. I love old photos!

Crafty Missus said...

these are so great! you look like a little imp in you poncho, runners and frock! i love it.

dilling said...

I have his 1950's Navy-issue Pea Coat for my winter coat. It still has all his vital information stenciled on the inside pocket...nearly takes away the sting of my missing poncho.

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time when she was just a wee young thing, Em said, "I will NOT wear pink!" and I felt that it was all my fault...I should never have dressed her in Robb's hand-me-downs via Gwen to her. It's a good thing she has a friend like you and while I feel a kinship to what your mom went through, it makes it a little easier looking at all those old photos of Em in rubber boots...even for a birthday party!

dilling said...

she wears pink now...with skulls on it.

gawilli said...

I wore my dad's pea coat for the longest time. There's a certain comfort in that I think.

katy said...

i loved that post i loved the photos so nice thanks for sharing
have a great weekend too