Wednesday, January 16, 2008

winter fairgrounds

How sad and lonely are fairgrounds in winter? Pretty freaking sad. But beautiful, all the same.
Today was my last hurdle for immigration. My physical. A full physical. It also makes me feel sad and lonely...even though the reason I am doing this is for the love of my life. For my Michael.
Growing up in the "working poor" in the U.S., and continuing my own working life on the outskirts of lower middle class, I hardly ever had health insurance. My only reasons to see a doctor were emergencies...and then hours of filling out forms to see if the cost could be covered by somebody else....anybody else.


The doctor today said I should have used some of my tattoo money for regular physicals and women's shit. Goddamn. Everyone is a critic. Some of them were from a time I could afford tattoos AND healthcare. I didn't get them all yesterday. Some of my tattoos were trade for bookkeeping.... among the general population, you would be suprised how much the Barter System is alive and well in the U.S. and elsewhere...and I can put someone's bookkeeping in order in hours....or a bit longer, if you are disorganized...like many tattoo artists. Not many doctors barter anymore(though I have seen some doctors who know just how far minimum wage goes when you have rent to pay). She also said something about dental shit....does anyone have any idea how expensive dental anything is without insurance? Ask me how much tomorrow will cost to have some dental work done on my dog...go on, ask. It's heartbreaking.
I had major dental work done five years ago. And? That rich asshole(as well as the dentist I'd seen before him) was a critic, too. He told me that it would be "no more" than a car payment for a few months to cover his costs...he drove a Porshe. Um, I already HAD a car payment AND insurance for that car and rent and groceries and utilities, etc. to pay. You know what else? I know I worked HARDER than either of those two....life costs more when you're "poor." Don't think it doesn't.
It's not a crime to be poor, but everyone sure makes you feel like it is...even here. Fuck off.


So, besides my attidude, all went well enough....girlie stuff went well(whew) and my physical went well, also(whew). Chest X-rays? Clear. Now, just the bloodwork to wait for. It's been such a process...such worry....because, of course, I haven't always been kind to myself. I have not always been kind to myself. I didn't know I was supposed to be kind to myself. Nobody taught me that. Damn. Who knew I would be here now when I was young and dumb and not being kind to myself? And the not knowing for as long as I have not known? Damn. Double damn. Double dog damn. Really.




Fingers crossed that all is well...today went much easier than I thought originally....in fact, I am toasting with a beer tonight.
Honestly, fuck the US and their medical system for making this such an outright burden for me. I have been sick with worry over it...and that alone could have been enough to make me sick enough not to get here.
Forgive me for my four letter words.
I have been so very worried about things that are beyond my control. I just want to be here with my Michael. I just want the clueless, worthless, lame and pathetic choices I made in my young life to have no bearing in the life I have been living every day, acutely aware of and making coherent decisions in for many years. Many, many years.













So, I toast one too many tonight. I am sure Fourdinners would approve of that. After all, he says that the Pissheads of the world should unite. Cheers. It's done now. Hopefully, all is well and I can, at age 39, get one with the rest of my life. Whatever that is.
Peace out and fingers crossed.







15 comments:

Principle of Vice said...

I'm rooting for you.

dilling said...

Thanks, POV...
me, too.

CindyDianne said...

Dilling - comments like those made by those clueless, judgmental ones... the set my head to spinning. Oh, it pisses me off for you! Really. I wish I had been there!

And congrats for making it through that part. The blood work will be fine. You will be Canuck before long!

Heidi the Hick said...

My dear, you can make even the most desolate scenes beautiful and emotional.

I know about regrets and honestly I get a little irritated when people tell me not to be regretful.

I know what it's like to be working and still be poor. I went for five years without seeing a dentist and when I did, it took about $1000 and several painful visits. I have always been grateful that I didn't have to pay for every dr visit (and there have been so many) but I couldn't pay for the meds.

I know it and I feel it.

You know that I wish you the best in the new part of your life. Look how far you've come. Look at you now.

(I love the crows.)

(and welcome to Canada, my friend.)

Victoria said...

Well fingers crossed indeed!

Michael Colvin said...

Life's Hurdles, ugh, hate em. I'm glad that you are almost through it all.

I didn't realise that the immigration thing between the US and Canada was so hard. I kinda assumed it was like between the UK and Ireland, where we just swan in and out of each others countries.

As for the tat comments by your doctor, what a fucking cheek!

katy said...

fingers and toes crossed for you Dilling, and i will raise a glass of wine and say Cheers to you too x

Olly said...

Relax...you'll do fine. Some doctors are really lacking in tack and bedside manner, eh?

Dental used to be covered under medical insurance here quite a while back. Still should be. Since when is having pain-free teeth a luxury?

The college has a great dental program. For about $20 you can have your teeth cleaned, x-rayed and checked over by a dentist. It's a bit time consuming, but saves a couple hundred. If there is any work needing done you can take those x-rays to your own dentist. We have done this a few times when we first ventured into working for ourselves. BTW everyone at that clinic is so nice.

raine said...

Yay! Glad you made it through the medical...once you have immigrant status are you eligable for health care? Love your fairground shots. Still don't know what you were doing at the fairgrounds in the snow....a dog walk gone astray?

FOUR DINNERS said...

Peace out and toes too babe x

I'll have one (or three) for you eh? ;-)

By the way, I'll get a scooter. I know it makes sense....

Olly said...

That was s'posed to read "tact", lol

Gardenia said...

Hey sweetie. Lovely pictures, really nice. You have a good eye.

What an asshole doctor. They, like politicians, have lost touch with what life is really like for most of us. My daughter also bartered for tattoos. I think as our economy continues its tailspin we will all (except doctors) have to come more inventive with bartering, etc.

I heard on the TV that Christmas season spending was dismal. Well, duh - imagine that - people probably bought a turkey this year instead of expensive gifts.

Anyway, enough of commiserating. Do you suppose we'll actually end up with a new president that will care that people can't buy medicine or medical, dental care?

dilling said...

One would hope that any president along the way would have liked to have been known as the one who cared enough...but I am not sure how much power the presidency actually has over the AMA, the Prescription Medicine companies, The Big Business of Being Sick in America... or the Big Business that Is America, all inclusive... but I am a pessimist.

dilling said...

Olly, thanks for the tip! I think I will go have my teeth cleaned when we finish paying off Eemer's teeth. Hooray. Students cleaning teeth...no anxiety there, right?

Anonymous said...

The whole thing just pisses me off. No-one should have to play Russian Roulette with the bills just to pay for healthcare, and as a result go without. The uppercrust is so completely oblivious I'm not sure any of their answers will be sufficient. Perhaps they should be made to walk a mile or so in someone else's shoes.

My daughter barters her services often. It works well for her, although you are right, when big business is involved there are no takers.

My son has had some dental work done by students in Chicago and has had good luck with that.

My mom, who was a teen during the Depression, was given up by her parents to do housework for a wealthy family in turn for room and board used to say, "Poor people have poor ways, and rich people have damn mean ones."