Friday, January 18, 2008

TA DA

Alright, here are some photos...the bed isn't made. Don't hold it against me. Eem-er is sleeping still. She is fully backed by doctor's orders to rest, rest, rest. I shouldn't disturb her. She is happy about that part of it all. Normally, I do kick her out of bed and make it every morning. We need a headboard and some skinny side tables but that will have to wait now. I did have my eye on a really inexpensive but very nice looking headboard at a clearance furniture warehouse. It had a couple of dents but the price was great...until the vet. It won't happen for a while now.
The new rug looks beautiful though, eh? We bought that BEFORE Emma went into the doctor's. No turning back now. The open doorway back there is the walk-in closet. Michael will make a bi-fold door because it is not a standard door size...and we need bi-fold to be able to open it with the bed here.

Walking in to the walk-in closet. I found this old dresser for 20 bucks at a thrift store. Love it. We have a window in our closet that overlooks our back yard.


This is Michael's nasty old dresser. We were looking for a new one for him, too, but that's on hold now, too.



We have a beautiful, framed, bigger-than-life-size mirror to bring in, but we have to find a way to attach it safely and securely to the plaster wall at the back of the closet first. And hang some art on the other, uncovered, 9 foot plastered walls. Surreal, isn't it? Hanging art in a closet? That hutch on the right was just cheap, plain pine and Michael stained the top and sides to match the hardwood floors, then stained to doors a bright sexy red. Nothing plain about it now.



Walking back out of the closet, those empty walls over there will one day have our corner bookshelves(once they are built) filled with our books and treasures. The empty window will have a nice fabric roman blind soon, but for now, at night, I just put a piece of plywood over it. And Michael removed the main door and is sanding it and putting a clear coat on. It will be back up this weekend. When the door is open, it nearly touches the bed and that is why we need such skinny bedside tables.
In here, I don't know about art to hang. I just love looking at my walls right now. I am in no hurry to put anything up yet. The room glows so warm at night with just the small bedside lamp reflecting off all the colour and texture. It's so pretty in there. Okay...that's it. For now.
Hmmmmn. What should the next project be?!?






10 comments:

Olly said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks great! See? It was all worth it.

I know what you mean about not being in a hurry to put anything on the walls. Character houses have artistic quality just the way they are sometimes. That and I hate putting holes in the plaster unless I'm absolutely sure of the picture.

Anonymous said...

it's a work of art! i look forward to crashing there.

Heidi the Hick said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

When we painted our living/dining room, I had plans to hang some of my own art on the wall behidn the table. Maybe a series of b+w family photos in black frames.

Then I looked at that expanse of warm grey, with not a single speck of clutter...and I couldn't do it. It's bare. And I love it.

The rest of our house is an explosion. I've got one wall of peace.

I Loooooove your house, and what you've done to it. That rug is gorgeous. You guys get your furniture where we do!

Hugs to your little dog. (Did you get my email?)

katy said...

its bloody fantastic, i want to sleep there and feel all the warmth of the colour seeping through.
hope Eem-er is feeling better too x

Michael Colvin said...

Good job! Your bedroom looks like a cosy sanctuary, which is of course exactly how it should feel.

I know what you mean about hanging pictures, we pontificate endlessly about which one and where to put it, it takes months, even years, sometimes!

david santos said...

Hi Dilling
A beautiful place here!
Excellent post! Nice photos.
You are Master.
Thank you.
have a good weekend

raine said...

Oooo, your walls shine...so so nice. Yay for you, getting it done.

Gardenia said...

Looks good and very organized. I agree with olly - your walls will eventually speak to you about what they want.

I love that closet - it reminds me of my big closet in Wyoming - complete with a dresser. Never had a window though.

Your house looks so cozy. I love the rug!

Anonymous said...

Your project turned out beautifully. The walls are outstanding. I would have a tough time covering them up. We have only one picture in our living room, an old painting that was my mom's. And one in our dining room - a photo of John and I that my daughter enlarged and brushed. I like bare walls. Can't wait to see what the next project will be!

Oh, and a walk-in closet must be heaven. And old dressers are my fetish. I love them. Especially the ones we have found on the side of the road.

CindyDianne said...

Oh, the walls are beautiful. The floors are gorgeous. I love the closet. I love the rug. Y'all did excellent! WUHOO!