Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ouch

Seven teeth gone. Seven. That's a mouthful of rotten bacteria. Hopefully, the murmur will clear up as the infections do. Eem-er is home, asleep, miserable, with a pink bandage on her leg and the right upper side of her mouth empty of teeth...poor thing.
However, continuing yesterday's rant on all things medical...the vet quoted me two prices. Michael and I rearranged many things to meet one of them...the lower one. No frills package. It was the most we could manage.
I went to pick her up and it was HIGHER than the high end package. No phone calls, no warning. The vet made some decisions without so much as a phone call to me, expecting me to be able to come up with an extra (nearly) $300 dollars.
I am not so sure that people who make lots of money really appreciate how difficult it is to come up with "extra" money. It's like Oprah saying everyone needs new pillows, body scrubs and plush bath towels. As if.
Anyhoo, after some confrontation in a waiting room full of other folks with pets and forthcoming bills, the price dropped quite a bit. Still not what Michael and I had anticipated, but better than the first "final" price.
More than I spent on my own medical stuff yesterday...by far. By far and away, actually.
It's a good thing Michael and I like rice and beans.
That's all I'm saying.

14 comments:

Victoria said...

Gah, that's a lot of "extra". Sigh. I hope y'all heal well and soon : )

Gardenia said...

I don't know when vets started charging more for pet care than doctors charge for human care, but they do - - - I think its unethical to give a price and then be so much over! Yelling in a doctor or vets office about an injustice while other customers are there works really well. Congratulations. :)

Olly said...

I can sympathize. Last year the vet charged us $75 to shine a flashlight down our cat's throat and give him a shot. It's just ridiculous.

How is Eemer taking it? The vet can be sooo stressful for the furry little guys. I guess they can sense the fear.

katy said...

a very special get well soon cuddle for Eem-er x
i too don't understand why treatment for our pets can sometimes be more expensive that our treatment.
a dog/cat doesn't need as much aneasthetic etc so just why does it cost so much!

dilling said...

She's asleep...she's been asleep since she got home. They doped her up pretty good...the cat seems to want to comfort her, but eemer won't even wake up.

raine said...

poor eem-er, I hope she is happy with her noew healthy mouth. Vets are soo expensive...do you have a good recipe for red beans and rice?

raine said...

I ask not because I have one but because I love red beans and rice and don't know how to make it...

Michael Colvin said...

I had deja vu when I read this. Remember the trauma we had with our vet and the cat's teeth? I'm glad Eemer is recovering and she will feel better when she wakes up with all that nasty stuff gone from her mouth.

G & I always joke that us humans get to be treated on our dodgy old third world National Health Service and our pets get same day private health care!

CindyDianne said...

Oh, I so feel you on this. When Daisy was so sick a year and a half ago, I wound up getting my dad to help pay her vet bills which totaled around $1200.00. It was that or go without paying the house payment!

I do hope she's awake and feeling much better today

Anonymous said...

its a good thing eemer has such loving people to take care of her...my parents adopted a dog with some rotten teeth who was given away because the people couldn't afford or didn't want to get her teeth fixed/removed.

Coffeypot said...

But is was for Eem-er.

FOUR DINNERS said...

been there done that.

We had a vet with a big house and a big car. he also had a big nose until I reduced it after he suggested we pay triple what he quoted.

Now got a vet who loves animals and we pay him what he asks and, on the odd occasion we're flush, he gets an extra 'drink'.

Still. You look after them I guess you pay when you have to.

Our guy even lets you open a 'slate' and pay later if you're skint. Used it a couple of times.

I'd recommend him but it's a bit far for you

Biddie said...

Poor lil Em.
I didn't think that vets were allowed to do something like that.
I mean, we all love our pets, and we would never put a price on that love, BUT, when you don't have it, it may as well be a million bucks.
I'm glad that Em is feeling better, and I'm glad that you both like rice and beans.

Anonymous said...

We eat a lot of rice and beans. Willi lived on them as a student. There's a lot of nutrition there and a drop or two of hot sauce perks them up a bit.

Glad Emma came through all right. Our Vet did something similar to us with
Cali. But then again, they are in the medical profession. Figures. You are at their mercy in more ways than one.