Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Issues and Asshats(or Asshats with Issues, myself included)

So this guy in our neighbourhood wants to start a Compassion Club here in Nanaimo. I don't know how I feel about that. I really don't. First of all, I am not the most compassionate person out there...as you can maybe tell from my rants on this here page sometimes...right? It's true. I can live with that. But chronically ill people smoking something that eases their pain and maybe gives them an appetite doesn't sound like a bad thing, either. My aunt died of lymphoma and the end was gut-wrenching for her and those around her for months and months helping her die. If it could have eased that a little? I live with chronic pain daily...it's a just barely bearable backdrop to my life but somedays, when I get a little extra kick in the ass in the pain department? I could almost shoot myself over it. I sleep instead...or start the whole take-pain-relievers-and-begin-gut-rot- almost-as-painful-as-the-pain-you-were-seeking-to-relieve cycle. Maybe you know that one, too? What I wouldn't give to avoid that whole scenario...and my pain is nothing compared to cancer, Crohn's, glaucoma, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia(both very real, you doubters!)...
I know that pot helps some people with chronic medical conditions. Sometimes I wish I was one of them. Personally, I hate the stuff.
Mostly, though, I just don't care about it...it's a NON-ISSUE to me. Probably because it doesn't work for me and I hate the stuff.
BUT, this I do care about....he's been a good neighbour, involved in cleaning up the garbage around here, taken a tough stance with some scary people, stood up for the neighbourhood before Council...all in all, his family and their presence has been a boon to the neighbourhood.
Mostly I think his timing is crappy...when we are a neighbourhood dealing with issues of drugs and drug abuse, it's just another damn argument I don't want to be having...and yet, there I was arguing with this Asshat on the street picketing my neighbour's planned compassion.


Well, really, Mister Asshat, why the fuck aren't you picketing outside one of the crackhouses in this neighbourhood? Why the fuck are you not picketing the methadone clinic or the needle exchange or wherever it is that VIHA will be handing out crackpipes next? Where have you been during any one of the times this neighbourhood has worked to pull another crackhouse down? Where were you when the open air drug market was going on up the road? Where were you with your sign then? ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean really? Standing on the same street corner that crack whores sell themselves for the price of one hit(merely a few dollars, how sick and sad is that?), across the street from a guy who deals crack, up the street from another, around the corner from a full blown crackhouse? Two blocks from the old granary where there are probably 40 homeless addicts KILLING themselves on poison they bought somewhere in town and you are going to picket this?!? Really?!? Fucking Asshat. How's that for compassion, eh? Asshat. Nimrod. Stupid.
Those fucking cigarettes you've smoked are a drug more harmful than pot and, by the way, throwing the fucking butts on the street is littering. Asshat.
When you are suffering from the pain of lung cancer? What then?
When I asked him if he would please go picket outside one of the crackhouses, he said no, he wanted to "take down this guy." Huh, sounds like more than just an issue about "drugs." Sounds more personal to me. Like you have a particular issue with a particular person. Did somebody hurt your little feelings somehow?!?
And so, my mouth got away from me...and though he thinks he has the "right" to stand there all day pronouncing his views, he told me to go away because he didn't want to listen to mine.
Huh.
I am off to the mall to get me one of these to hang out with the guy tomorrow.
(Can you all even believe how many times I just cussed? My Dad would so kill me right now!)
*Oh hey, it's later now...that picketeer just passed my house glaring in my windows, as if making some point that I won't comment on. Asshat. I think he was carrying a bag from the Methadone Clinic...but maybe I am just passing along hurricane rumors now. But, we're all human now, aren't we? And I am still angry, after all. And we are all, after all, human? Right? I never said I was a role model. He did pass my house with a very small plastic bag, definitely not a grocery bag...and made a more than definite point if glaring in my windows. As if he could be the one to intimidate me. I wonder if the little plastic bag in his hand was from the methadone clinic just up the street, the only closest store....if so, I wonder how long he will ride the methadone train? A lifetime? Another drug-addicted lifetime? Now I am just being bitchy,eh? Sorry. My father would definitely not approve.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, never a dull moment in your life! Seriously, you need to put it all in a book, and include your great photographs with your daily updates...you could make enough $ to move to the north end. However if you did that I suspect you would never have enough activity around to keep your blog going. Catch 22.

Anonymous said...

Do you know about Mount Pleasant neighborhood in Vancouver? They had a similar problem until the residents decided to band together and fight back. They did a film about it. Maybe someone on their citizen's committee can offer some suggestions? http://mtpleasantcares.org/

Heidi the Hick said...

Let me get this straight- asshat is against the neighbour who wants to help people?

I'm not a fan of weed. I'm totally with you on that. I just don't like it, what it does to me, or what it does to other people. But I also think it's fairly innocent in comparison to other drugs. Including cigarettes. I mean, a drug is a drug. And I was on anti-depressants for a year. Hate, hate, hated it.

I'm still amazed that people think it's a good idea to set up a place for addicts to go to get their fix. (Thinking about your previous posts this week.) Isn't the point to get people OFF drugs, and off the streets???? Maybe I just live in a little sheltered dream world.

Michael Colvin said...

He does seem to have his priorities a little mixed. And reading your later update has me confused. So you think he is an anti drugs, placard waving drug addict? Heh.

Biddie said...

I am not a fan of weed, either. I do think that it can be a gateway drug, but I also think that people with chronic pain need SOMETHING.
You are right when you say that weed is less harmful than those foul smelling cigarettes.
Isn't it funny when some people wanna force their views down YOUR throat, but won't listen to yours?
Honestly, if it had been me there, dealing with Mr. Asshat, I would have lost it.

Olly said...

I think he needs to smoke a joint and mellow out.

dilling said...

Islander...when we leave this house, we leave Nanaimo. What's the point of moving to the north end?

captain corky said...

Yeah, people that picket against pot instead of Crack are fucking idiots. Of all the stupid things I've gotten myself involved with, Pot is the least harmful. And it really does help people who are sick feel better. Even times when I've had bad colds and flu it's helped. But it makes me to lazy and stupid to use on a regular basis. I'd rather be get my stupidity from cartoons. ;)

dilling said...

I guess he really IS a client at the methadone clinic...wow, huh. Go figure.

dilling said...

hey Anon? thanks for that link!

FOUR DINNERS said...

As its America can't you just shoot him or some'at?

Makes sense to me but that's just me.

er...please don't or I might get extradited for some'at or other...

dilling said...

Canada,4D....British Columbia. Which makes his distaste about pot so much more laughable. He's probably getting high off the second hand smoke standing on the street corner.

Anonymous said...

well, i can have love affairs with the pot. although i am well aware that it can get carried away with....
i think that it is better than any perscription medication i have been on for what ails me.
i have also been a wild girl in my day and experimented with worse, and know that worse is worse for a reason.
this guy sounds like some shit disturber that needs to be met in a dark alley with a big stick...
but there is a lot of them on nob hill, wha?
keep giving them shit.

dilling said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Michele said...

God i love a woman that can rant!! You tell em girl!! People never stop to amaze me... i'd soo get the shirt... stand there all day and rant...jsut to piss him off. :D

Yvonne said...

Most excellent rant!

I grew up in Nanaimo and I can't believe what it's become since I left. (I'm almost equally put off by the druggies AND the snooties of the Nanaimo North.)

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting exchange. I guess I would question why they chose Nanaimo also considering the war you have been waging. As for pot, I took care my kid's grandma Jane after her chemo. It killed the cancer but ravaged her body. I think she could have used a toke or two every once in awhile.

dilling said...

so...just one last note...NO KIDDING, NO RUMOUR...he IS a client at the methadone clinic AND his doctor turned him down for a medical marijauna card....did I even spell that right?

Anonymous said...

hmmm, how did you know the hookers go for a single hit of crack?