Monday, January 28, 2008

What did you just call me?

Have you seen the photos over at Viewfinder View? You should go check it out...and I may have to go look for an old camera and try out the ttv technique so I welcome any suggestions in that department. Anyhow, Val Cox over there has posted all these photos of kumquats on her site. I LOVE kumquats. When we lived in Vancouver, when I got the hankering for this delicious little treat, we'd head off to Granville Island. We could usually find them there, tree ripened and not too dear a price. Plus, we got to putter around the market, window shop all the funky little places, try to pick out which floating house we would buy if we could, pick up something artsy fartsy at Opus....I know Michael doesn't miss living in Vancouver, but I do. We lived in a BIG city with a fraction of the issues of this little town(known as Crack City in other places)...and there was stuff to do, too. Here on this island, Vancouver Island, when I do find Kumquats, they are not ripe. They don't ripen if you pick them too early. And? Super expensive. Last week, though, Thrifty Foods had organic kumquats, tree-ripened for 5 bucks a pound. Not too outrageous...not for the best treat ever. Oh happy day.
In twenty years, maybe I'll be picking them for free.

7 comments:

Gardenia said...

Kumquats look delish. Wonderful photos as usual. Isn't the blue leaf breathtaking?

Olly said...

What's inside? Are they kinda like a plum? Or a Passion fruit? Never tried them.

dilling said...

like an orange. only the sin is actually a little sweeter than the meet...you just pop the whole thing, skin and all, in your mouth.

dilling said...

sin? skin!!!!

Olly said...

Skin and all? Sounds sinful, lol.

Anonymous said...

I believe I have only had them once, but I will watch for them to try again. When my kids were little we would look for fruits and vegetables we had not had, just to try them. Sometimes we were not really sure how to eat them and had to guess. Skin and all, huh?

This site is interesting, but way above my photographic abilities. I don't think I will be much help here.

Michael Colvin said...

I tried them once, I seem to remember the flavour was very intense, almost marmaladey.

Now I'm hungry...