Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bird Nerds

Skies broke crisp and blue again today. We all got an early morning start.... following our neighbourhood's Official Bird Nerd out into the bird sanctuary south of town. I will have to get back to you with the name of the place. He knows all the good birding sites...we were looking for owls. Short-eared Owls, to be specific. It was SO BEAUTIFUL out there that I forgot we were looking for birds.
See them out there looking for birds while I am photographing ice crystals? They kept stopping and waiting for me to catch up.

They had to wait for me a lot.


It's the first sun we've seen in weeks and weeks. Though it was crispy cold and my fingers ached, I couldn't get enough of it. The long grey days have had me down, diluting my spirit as well as the colour of my eyes. What a gift the past few days have been.



So we walked through frozen rushes and ice-crusted wetlands, breathing the cold air into our lungs, tasting the melting frost and savoring the sunshine on our ruddy cheeks.










Hallelujah. Hallelujah and thank you.






Oh yeah....we were bird-watching. Right? Heheh, I forgot again.







Did I mention that we saw some birds while we were out? You know, because we were out there looking for birds, in case I didn't mention. Swans galore. This was my telephoto lens set to it's greatest capacity. Not so awe-inspiring, but it's alright. You get the idea, right? These were just a few of them.








Hey, you two!!!! Look up! Look up!!!! Someone is watching you watching birds.









Funny that we were being watched, too, isn't it?
We DID see a Short-eared Owl, but he was not the least bit interested in letting me get close enough for a photo, though the two photographers out there with the lenses as big as Eem-er probably got some good shots. Momentarily, I was jealous of them but I know that I am in this for the walks anyway. The photos are just the bonus.
Thanks, Bird Nerd, for the tour...ever the great bird guide. Your excitement is contagious and I like that none of my questions were too lame...you just answered them like they are the most well-thought-out questions. When are we going again?!?
There are lots more photos. I will be posting them to the Flickr site as soon as I know the name of the bird sanctuary.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great way to spend the day, as compared to me crunching numbers behind a desk! I think I'm living vicariously through your lens.

Val Cox said...

fantastic, your photos are looking great!

captain corky said...

Great shot of the owl! Glad you got to have sunshine day. Everyone's smiling. ;)

dilling said...

Corky! that's an eagle!!! an immature bald eagle. the owl wouldn't let me get close enough for a photo!!!
Thanks, Val. Quite a compliment from you...
Gawilli, come walk with me anytime

Michael Colvin said...

I like your shots of the ice crystals. The ones close up and from afar. They are just beautiful.

Gardenia said...

Wonderful pictures! The eagle is awesome. I clicked on the swan photo to see it larger, and I love it too - the reflections of those graceful birds on the water - ahhhhhhhh!

What a wonderful way to spend the day. I just bought a book on birds of north Florida. Pretty interesting.

Olly said...

I love the term "bird nerds". Cute.