Sunday, December 03, 2006

third times a charm

Well, three days later I finally made it to Sechelt on the one flight of the day. I stayed three nights. We had three Faxe one night. We fit three people in the cab of the truck for our return. It will take three posts to show you my photos... and that is because I will be selective. Three is a magic number. I made the trip over and then became housebound again. At least I was there and could hang with Em and Aethan, and Barb. It wasn't just the snow. I love walking in snow. It was the temperature. It was cold. Those of you back east will laugh, but, damn it, we're just not used to this. And the wind coming off of that water was brutal. We were all becoming a little antsy...it looked so beautiful outside. It really did.
And everyone was eager to get out there in it....until we did.
Even the geese were covered in snow...it didn't melt off of them. We saw a blue heron take off with ice around one leg.
But someone didn't let the cold weather hamper their activities. There were a few of these along the beach walk. I don't know how they could drink cold beer outside that night. A strong constitution is all I can say about that.
Emma had a gift of a fleece-lined jacket(thank you, Casper) which made all the difference. One would think that coming from Newfoundland, Emma would be more adapted to the cold but I guess her lack of body weight must hinder her ability to keep warm. She was trembling out in the cold. This coat really has been her friend this past week.
We did bundle up for some short walks to the beach once or twice. I mean, if you have a dog, you have to walk, right?
And they were gorgeous, of course, but short and brisk, with thoughts of hot coffee and warm blankets at the back of our minds.
We spent a lot of time the first couple of days just looking out windows, talking, speculating on driving a moving truck through snow and ice...but it was vacation, after all. It is a time to put your feet up and enjoy the view. I wasn't really there to ACCOMPLISH anything anyway. So, to that end, it was perfect. More tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've captured those days so well in your photographs and doesn't Emma look divine in her red coat. Great beer can in the snow shot...some people just can't say no to a picnic on the beach.

Biddie said...

Great photos. I love Emma in her coat! So glad that you made it there. Nothing like a vacation.

Anonymous said...

i find it so strange that this is abnormal on the sunshine coast, it is a normal newfoundland fall day to me! what has the temperature been?

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. I really really love the snow though we just don't get much of it in the UK. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story too.

Anonymous said...

The best part about being cold is warming up:-)

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I love dogs in clothes!