Monday, December 04, 2006

second helpings

This is the second Sechelt entry. We were two women relating. We had two days of snow and heavy weather, two days of sunshine. We spent twice as much time laughing as crying. We always had seconds at dinner. We both need two "crush tag" posts. We believe in second chances. Two peas in a pod. Two. Duece. Double Trouble. When the weather cleared to blue sky, the real beach walks began. Emma and I had been housebound for days and the first day without the wind driving the snow sideways found us walking for hours, two days in a row...literally. Hours.We walked the only place that was clear of snow...the beach. Where the tide melted the snow was the only easy walking spot. It really is something special to have blue sky overhead, surf on one side, snow on the other and a strip of sand and beach rock down the middle.
There is a band of First Nations in Sechelt. They have a beautiful community along the beach. I love the beach, the beach road, the houses, the totems. So lovely. I dream of the time when maybe I can live in such a place. I love the beach at Sechelt. The rocks are full of depth and colour. The sound of the water rattling through the rocks with the action of the waves is like someone chuckling. I stoop over to listen every few steps. I like it.
Even the grafitti in Sechelt is something special...it glitters. Hidden treasures.....
Not so hidden treasures....
Did I mention the totems? Because if I didn't, they are fabulous...and everywhere.
Aren't they fabulous? It is such an amazing walk along these beaches. See, vacation doesn't have to be so very exciting to be so very beautiful.
Tune in tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place. I would love to do that walk with you. The totems are fabulous and really enhance the natural beauty of the scene. Isn't it cool when manmade structures fit so perfectly with their surroundings? And I also LOVE that wave in the pebbles sound! I had never thought of it as chuckling, what a curious description.

Sorry, I'm rambling!

Anonymous said...

amazing. glistening.
one of my favorite things to do is stand bare feet at the tide line. as the waves flow out you are slowly pulled along with rocks and sand tumling about your ankles pulling you in deeper. try it sometime, the sense of the power of the ocean is awe inspiring... wait until the weather warms up though...

Anonymous said...

hey part of my comment is missing (bet that has to do with the bloody blogger beta).
before "amazing. glistening.", i had written "the beach rocks are".

Heidi the Hick said...

Thank you so much for sharing!!! I'll have to come back a few times today and soak in those pictures...and their descriptions!

Anonymous said...

Where is this place again? I want to visit now!!

Anonymous said...

what fantastic photos i am with ldbug i want to go there too!
an i love emma's fleece