Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Merry Christmas, Everyone

Again, I am breaking my own photo rule, but hopefully you won't be able to tell...we're not nearly so pixelated in real life. We are catching the first ferry out Friday morning. Things may get away from me tomorrow what with packing and another party at HickChic's place and all the last minute travel details(setting up timers and checking the weather network ten thousand times) so I just wanted to tell you all to enjoy your holidays, enjoy your family and friends, enjoy all the little things like time and touch and laughter. That's all we really remember in the end anyway, isn't it? I can't remember many gifts that came wrapped up in paper with a shiny bow, but I can recall the times around the table when we all put aside everything for an evening to celebrate something that nobody else has... our family...our family of blood, sweat, tears, misfits, mongrels, adoptees, refugees, right-wing, left-wing, ding-bats, tattooed ladies and carnival geeks, freaks and other participants of life...a family that we patched together like a crazy quilt of cast-offs and end-pieces. We don't all look alike. We don't all share the same heritage. But we are Family. And I am going Home. I hope you are Home for your holidays, as well. We are children of the universe. We all have a right to be here. Peace on Earth. Good Will to All Men. Amen. See you in the New Year.


8 comments:

Crafty Missus said...

have a grand trip my dear. i look forward to all the photos you will bring home.
and you look cold on that sleigh ride, you need a scarf!! hope you get one for christmas.

Biddie said...

Have a wonderful holiday.I love your photo with Santa! See you in the new year!

Anonymous said...

I always knew Mrs. Claus was better looking than what we were led to believe as children and with handsome Claus and Emma the reindeer, I'd take your version over tradition any day!
Have an absolutely wonderful time on holiday...LOVED the description of your family. Do you know you have a very David Sedaris-style of writing...poignant yet hilarious!
Cheers and goodwill to all...

Michael Colvin said...

Wow! What can I say a great post and I LOVE the photo! You are so clever!

Merry Christmas, enjoy your holidays!

Heidi the Hick said...

Beautiful- the photo and the description of your family!

Lots and lots and lots of love to you and Michael and Emma. And the carnival freaks!

emily said...

see you in the new year soul sister. i am going to miss you around the hood in the next little bit!
love love love you.

ldbug said...

Fun photo!! Merry Christmas!!

gawilli said...

Great thoughts for this Christmas season. Happy Holidays to you, Dilling! Peace on earth would be a truly wonderful thing.