Friday, December 15, 2006

our house, in the middle of our street

Since the weather has been so lousy, I haven't had the camera out much. So wanna see some of my house? These are the windows on the street side of the house...there is clear glass beneath the coloured panes as old as the house, which was built in 1923. They are warped and look like they are melting and that is why some of my photos of the street outside look so weird. And here we are in the kitchen looking through one set of french doors into our living room. It's kind of messy right now so I closed the door...plus the door is pretty too. See the paint job on the entry door? A reminder of Maggie and her seperation anxiety. The glow in the left part of the french door is the pellet stove...cozy, cozy. All the walls are plaster and lathe, with coved ceilings, 10 feet up. We have the original glass doorknobs and some porcelain ones. Some of the glass for the light covers is original fixtures, frosty and blue like old candy dishes. Some of our switches are still push button. The trim and baseboard is still unpainted wood throughout most of the house and my intention is to restore what isn't.
And another set of french doors on the other side of the kitchen to the sunroom, our plant haven. We haven't had too much sun lately but when we do, this is where the morning sun is. Our back deck is out back there.
I love my kitchen...except for that ugly ceiling fan. Ugh.
Some essentials for my kitchen...the Joy of Cooking...the Cure for Death by Lightning(great story with great recipes)....Cara's recipe cards and ripe bananas....an ancient Blue Ribbon Cookbook I found at a church sale, full of hand-written, well-tested recipes in all the free spaces and lovely notes in the margins. My own recipe book is so ugly I keep it in the cupboard but I hope someday somebody sees how much love I put into that book...it's kind of modeled after the cookbook in The Cure For Death By Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz. Some broad beans to plant in the spring.
My fridge is a chaotic dream...always has been. My keepsake box. My bulletin board. Some of these things have been with me since I left home. Some are new additions. There is Maggie. There is Michael. My friend's band, Beat Nervosa. Who doesn't love Tank Girl? A postcard of my hometown that I can see my childhood house in. A postcard that says "The Scenery is here. Wish you were beautiful." I could never send it to anyone because I couldn't be parted from it. It's been on my fridge for at least 12 years. A postcard from Alien Caffeine in Roswell, NM. Phone numbers I will never call. Found items, like the frog prince drawing and somebody's shopping list I found on the ground in Vancouver. They were going to the store for pop, ketchup chips and condoms. No kidding.
More of my fridge...it's kind of like seeing in my head, isn't it? Scared yet?
Well, that was boring, wasn't it? Ha ha. Hopefully I will be able to take the camera outdoors again soon or who knows what the next photo montage will be...the cobwebs and spiders in the basement or something equally fun. Can't wait for that now, can you?
Have a good weekend, all.














6 comments:

emily said...

i love your house.....
love.
you should take a photo of your sink to show everyone. it's really not fair that you guys have that. if it were mine i would take it everywhere to show everyone. like a really heavy pet.

Biddie said...

I LOVE your home. Seriously. Now I want to see the sink. Please?

Michael Colvin said...

I love your house too. It is so full of character and you and Michael have obviously put a lot of love into it.

I miss our old cast iron fireplace with a roaring log fire. Our place is new and doesn't have near as much character as the old Victorian we restored and lived in for fifteen years. But in the end the constant maintenance got too much and we can laze in our new place, read the papers and not worry that something was broken or leaking!

Heidi the Hick said...

Love the glass, love the floors, love the colours!!

Love the fridge art. I should show mine too. I really really really love the painting over the table!!

Crafty Missus said...

i'm imagining sitting in your sun room and drinking my tea....
put that angel from montgomery cd on again for me, missus...

CindyDianne said...

I really, really, really, love the art in your kitchen! You know, the cuttin' horse? Beautiful! Cool! And displayed perfectly on that gorgeous blue wall!