Saturday, December 09, 2006

soft parachutes

Have any of you heard Paul Simon's " soft_parachute. " It is kind of an old and obscure song by Simon and Garfunkel during the Vietnam war. I grew up a tremendous fan of Paul(not so much Garfunkel, even though my mom's boyfriend could do an evilly cruel impersonation of the guy). So, ever since I saw Llew's Soft Monster Coat on cara's blog in October I have been "listening" to Soft Monster Coat to the tune of "Soft Parachutes" in my head. It's my own thing and I don't expect you all to understand. Imagine, if you will, how blessed I felt to receive this shirt from Cara that is a Soft Monster Shirt(still fits the song), I can wear the monster in the front or in the back cuz it is specially made to be reversible in a different way than most reversible shirts. Front to back as opposed to inside out. How effing cool is that? Oh, how I wish it was summer. Also? A whole Newfoundland five course dinner recipe in a hand-made pouch. I can't wait to try the Spazzy Onion Soup, and quick bread with pesto and cod followed by I Scream covered in chocolately goodness.Especially after much trepidation about a recent recipe invoving salt cod that was mighty tasty in the end. Who knew?


It occurred to me that I had not shared the first Art Share from Cara. It was not as public as ArtShare MeMe. Michael sent some art her way and she sent some our way and we are blessed to have this beauty hanging in our house now. Isn't she gorgeous? Disregard the glare of the flash. It has been gloomy, rainy and overcast the past few days and natural light is a bitch. That's a gal after my own thighs, er, heart. I adore her.
And Merry Christmas( a wee bit early) to myself. A new tattoo(that's a weird photo of my wrist), a little bit cutesy compared to my regular fare, but I love this "vintage" Snoopy, circa 1956. Does anyone recognize this little guy as the original? My first hound love. Followed by Dan and Ann from "Where the Red Fern Grows" . This was the beginning of hound dogs in my life. It's kind of like looking at the first Mickey Mouse in "Steamboat Willie."

Well, folks, it's late and I have had a beer or three so I am going to sign off tonight. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I'll be talking to you again soon.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to see that shirt on you. does it fit?
and yes, i have a photo of you shovelling fishcakes into yer mouth! if you liked those, wait til you try the scrod o cod. you'll cry.

Biddie said...

I'm not so much for salt cod, or any other seafood. It's a great disappointment to my family, who are all from Cape Breton.
The art is great, and I love the new tat. I've often thought of getting another one, but I haven't made that leap yet. I'm thinking of a celtic design.....

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I love that tattoo. I'm still undecided on the whole tattoo thing.

Anonymous said...

missus, you knows that i loves you, but that song is some depressing to be sung in the spirit of a 20 month old toddler... do you change the other words?

Anonymous said...

What? No cute little recipe card for Cara Fish Cakes or do we have the t-shirt for that already? And what is she talking about...scrod o cod? I swear they speak a whole different language in Newfoundland. If I ever visit, I'm definitely packing a Newfoundlandish-English Dictionary or lord knows what I might order in a restaurant!

Anonymous said...

Well, wait a cotton picking minute...she just sent you the t-shirt! Silly me...

Anonymous said...

great tattoo glad you said it was on your wrist i thought it was on your ankle!

Anonymous said...

I love the tattoo!

Heidi the Hick said...

Aww, Snoopy puppy! I love it.

Love Cara's lady too! Talented girl and sounds like she can cook too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Cool art! Just think how much more you're going to look forward to summer and wearing your new shirt...

Like the new tatoo! Merry Christmas:-)

My roommate thinks I should get a tattoo of a snowflake now. I have the ladybug, but since the name change....probably won't do it since all my money has gone to Christmas gifts already! It's that time of year;-)

Anonymous said...

Dilling, this may be more information than you want but "Soft Parachutes" was not a Simon and Garfunkel song but was a Simon solo song that he wrote for the film One Trick Pony which he also wrote and starred in in 1980.

dilling said...

wow...cuz the info I have on it was that it was older than that...cool. And I don't have soft parachutes on my one trick pony soundtrack record...weird, eh? Ya know, he's a fantastic singer/songwriter but he was a little "stiff" onscreen in that...but sweet. it's been a long time since i saw it though.