Thursday, February 15, 2007

portrait of an artist...

No, not really a portrait...that would be too personal for his comfort...but I wanted to show you some of Michael's artwork. A canvas is not usually very big. Sometimes it's not even canvas...layered in acrylic paints that tell abstact stories of landscapes, rich in colour and texture...you'll want to touch them, press the fleshy pad of your thumb into the hills, follow the course of the water with a light fingertip, cup the textured corners in the palms of your hands.
And my photos do no justice, of course. I am not sure there is way to capture all that texture, and the way the colours change, with a camera... all the same, click on the photos, make them bigger and explore the paintings a bit. Some of the texture, colour and light does come through.

This is one he is working on right not...not finished, obviously, but one of my favourites already. It is like sitting at the top of a brilliant forest canopy, staring out over the vastness of it all. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Another work in progress. This one is close to finished...the storming sea being the important aspect, the cityscape less "intense," less interesting, full of colour and dramatic height, but flat, all the same.

Now this painting we have a long-standing silent argument over. I think it needs to hang this way. The surreal bottom of the world stretching away to a horizon underneath, the mountains rising up towards the racing sky. Next time I look at the wall, he's turned it over so that the flat horizon is on top and it is cliffs descending into a choppy sea. I know that makes more literal sense, but I like my way so much more...so I turn it back over and our silent conversation begins again.






One last look see... hope you enjoyed...follow the link, too. Those are older paintings, but some of my favourites(and his, too). He looks really young in the photo, too, with so much more hair than I ever remember seeing on him! He's much more handsome now! Trust me. I don't even recognize that guy.





Be sure to hit the "Thumnail Index" on the linked page. He has more paintings on that page than what is shown initially. I wouldn't want you to miss anything!
Hope you enjoy.





8 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

oh my gosh, wonderful!!!

You know, I oooed over all of them but I think the last one is my favourite.

Anonymous said...

yum.
i own one!
looking down on those lush blooming trees, ah he has captured the spirt so well. makes me hold my breath..
and the swirling brown sky over the mountians i remember feeling like that in the rockies...
michael and i should apply for an exhibit somewhere. i wonder where is the exact middle from here to there... that would be an interesting landscape study.....

Molly said...

Oh, I do like the bold colors and the textures...very nice.

dilling said...

hmmm, cara, somewhere in Ontario?

Biddie said...

I LOVE Hills OF Home. LOVE it.

katy said...

they are great, my favourate is on the link page dream of flying
thanks for showing us those

Crafty Missus said...

well you get him on that, maybe we could get some funding for it.
road trip, missus!!!

Michael Colvin said...

Wow. Amazing stuff! I like the use of really bright colour. I wish I was more creative.