Tuesday, February 13, 2007

in the hood

We had three, count 'em, three, crack houses spring up in a week around here... We already got two closed down...the landlords just went in and kicked them out, no due process, no courts, no bullshit. One, because he is a good landlord. The other? Maybe he got tired of our phone calls...and he is trying to sell his properties right now. The third is taking the legal route, but it is quieter. It's been a horrible time in the South End of Nanaimo lately, as the city seeks to beautify it's downtown core. The business owners have more say than we do...they don't want hookers and drug sales down there. I can't blame them, but I don't want them here, either...but who's going to lose this battle with a City Council full of big business interests? Obviously, it seems, we are. The whole of the SouthEnd had a meeting to discuss the "issues." There must have been 400 plus people there. I didn't hear anything different than anything we have heard before from the RCMP, the city. At least the mayor deigned to show up for this meeting...and actually praised us for not resorting to vigilantism. Can you believe that? Buddy, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one...
We called RCMP dispatch for this...the dispatch guy actually said, "How do you know it's drug activity?" Holy Crap, guy. WE LIVE HERE, that's how we know.

If you came down here, guy, you would KNOW it's drug activity, too...and by the way, guy, in one day, 15 cars were broken into in this neighbourhood...you might want to check into that, too. Of course, we (as in multiples of the neighbours) called on that, as well, because we saw suspicious activity from the occupants of a two-toned brown van in our neighbourhood for three days running, but the suspects were gone long before the RCMP arrived...even though they were looking for the suspects. Somewhere between dispatch and the patrols, there is a serious lack of information.


And see if you can do ANYTHING about the guy the papers are calling a Cat Burglar but is, in fact, a HOME INVADER, breaking in while people are at home. After a restless night, when I was hearing a tap, tap, tapping somewhere along the side of the house in the wee, dark hours, I went peeking through the windows and saw nothing. Still disturbed by the noise, I flipped on the basement lights, the outdoor light and some of the house lights...walked around the house a few minutes and then turned them all off slowly and went to bed...as I fell asleep, I did hear some voices from the street but could not fight the sandman anymore. In the morning, on Michael's way out the door to work, he found these just outside the house...sigh.
Sometimes, this fight seems too much.


10 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

Whoa, finding those tools outside must have been very alarming for you. I will never understand how the police can be so apathetic. It's a disgrace.

Anonymous said...

This is a tough one, Dilling. And it's hard for me to comment as we live in North Nanaimo and aren't really impacted by this sort of thing. Marauding cats and hungry deer are the only prowlers we've had to date.

(BTW, I've got a suggestion about an unrelated matter which I'd rather not discuss here, so please drop me a line using the Contact Us botton on my website, which is linked to my Blogger profile.)

dilling said...

(btw, Go Nanaimo, i have just tried several times to contact you through your page but i keep getting an error)...

Biddie said...

Holy cow, Dilling, that's scary. I still marvel at your bravey that you showed when that guy surprised you in your house. I'm surprised that anyone would even try to break into a house where a dog lives.
Are these home invaders attacking home owners? maybe you need some sort of alarm system for your doors, and windows.

Crafty Missus said...

wow. that scares me. have you shown the cops this?

dilling said...

it took the cops all day to come see the tire iron and flashlight, calls from me, from michael and from our next door neighbour... and when the cop finally came, he said it was unusable as evidence so we have it next to the front door so I have something to rap them over the head with next time I hear them outside my house. blind them with the flashlight and whammo! with their own iron.

Bunny said...

I really admire that you're trying so hard to get your neighborhood cleaned up, that you're NOT GIVING UP, even when things seem bleak!! Stay strong!!

dilling said...

hey, Bunny! thanks. did you ever get your artshare?

Anonymous said...

I should buy you a taser for Valentine's. I worry about you. Take care. Scoob P.S. Do you have motion activated lights outside?

Anonymous said...

I would suggest a baseball bat. It would be far more effective. Don't expect too much help from city council. They're way too occupied trying to get out from under the downtown mess.