Monday, February 26, 2007

Piper's Lagoon

Well, Friday past was a glorious day with no rain, some blue sky and gorgeous clouds. I couldn't round up anyone else for dog walkies so I headed to the north end. I love the parks out here, with the beaches and the garry oak groves... they are not really off-leash friendly(unless deserted, which they were) but Emma is not an off leash dog...maybe someday...but no day soon. Piper's Lagoon. I used to walk Maggie here nearly every day, off leash...but she was doddering and slow. She loved this park, the warm sand, the trails through the brush where she could always smell and occasionally SEE the wild rabbits...it was more than enough for her. The rabbits make Emma INSANE!!!!! Isn't that cloud cool?
And treasures abound after the winter tides...by the end of summer, the bits of beach glass will be tiny, few and far between, completely picked over by other beachcomers and the summer's low tides do little to refresh the supplies...but Friday I loaded my pockets with bits of blue and green and white....
The piles of drift and logs are amazing after the winter storms and high tides. I LOVE driftwood. The forms are curvaceous, lush, rich. They fill me with visions of the human form, fish, flora, fauna....and I would take it all home, if I could and fill my yard with nature's carvings.


Eem-er's long shadow makes my heart ache. God, I want to let her off the leash. She wants to run, she wants to run, she wants to run. I hate that leash. I wish she would come when she heard her name.



And my Garry Oaks....they are like magic. I imagine fairies and elves, magic and dancing lights. They look like they should be human.




Isn't that fantastic?




This is SUPPOSED to be Shack Island...winter tides are never this low. Weird. There is usually water between us and them until summer low tides. These are summer cabins, grandfathered to families. You can't buy one or sell one. Did you ever read the YaYa Sisterhood? When the moms and kids would all go to the riverside cabins to beat the summer heat? That's what these remind me of.






I was not the only one out with a camera on Friday....but I doubt that this guy was jealous of my camera. I sure as hell was jealous of his, though.
Thanks for walking with me....






11 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Beautiful pictures Dilling.

I have a hound, you know. I had the same problem with off the leash walks... and we solved it. I'd be happy to tell you how, if you are interested. You can email me at cindydianne_tx@yahoo.com

Biddie said...

Your photos make my heart ache for the ocean, which i have not seen in 17 years. Of course, I have never seen YOUR ocean, but it makes me long for the east coast just the same.
I love the photos. I really, really, do. I am so blessed to have one of your originial works of art in my living room.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the walk and I MEANT to take my camera with me this afternoon, but forgot again. I'm trying to photograph outside the box the way you do, but I seem too hung up on getting things centered and square. I'm working on it!
P.S. I'm curious about how cindydiane did the off-leash thing.

dilling said...

biddie, you know that our home is open to you and your family...we will have room for all. all we have to do if figure out how to get her.

dilling said...

as soon as I know, Barb, I will let you know

Biddie said...

YOu almost made me cry when I read this last night. Really.
Thank you. Who knows, maybe one of these days...

Anonymous said...

wish i were there, rather than here, covered in snow....

Heidi the Hick said...

I was just thinking that these photos make me feel like weeping with happiness!

I do hope someday we can all walk together!!!!

ldbug said...

Do you run with Emma?

Those pictures remind me of my Grandma's on the island. I haven't visited her in a long time. Maybe, if I'm in Montana this summer, I'll drive out to the sound....

monchichi said...

I don't remember my frickin' username and password. UGH. Testing testing; I LOVE YOUR PHOTOS/TALENT! Dreamy, and the dog?!! A DOLL!

dilling said...

DONNA!!!!! You're back!!!
GREAT, and I do mean GREAT to see your name in my comments!!! love you.