Tuesday, February 06, 2007

blue meanies

I really don't have much desire for writing lately...haven't done much worth writing about. The weather is back to normal, warm but grey and soggy. Ties in well with the general glumness I have been feeling, this funk. Today, I started taking St. John's Wort and hope it helps soon.
The last photos I took were during our trip to Kamloops to be with Michael's family. . . It all starts here, every time. Two hours to anywhere to begin the journey.

Sitting in the car staring out at the grey water, the grey skies...the emergency equipment.
Because dogs have to remain on the car decks on BC Ferries, we rarely venture to the upper decks. It's ridiculous to spend that much money on passage and have to leave your pets below decks. It's cold. It's loud. It's miserable. We don't leave her alone down there, we pack pillows and heavy blankets, books, crosswords and a thermos of hot coffee, fold the seats down and snooze away the trip. It's a ritual.


How could you leave this face alone?!?



I felt a bit weird hauling the camera with me for a trip dealing in so much sorrow, but winter in the high desert is beautiful and time spent along the trails is as helpful and healing as time spent in the arms of family.
Often our need for nature outweighs everything and we disappear for some much needed time in communion with the Mother...



This is our church, where we pray, where grace comes closest to the ground for us.
More to follow....love to all.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's enough that you've had a family death to deal with, let alone the greyness and fog as a backdrop. Even the hardiest of folk seem to be giving in to some form of cabin fever. People seem to be wandering aimlessly, eyes down, on auto-pilot, dragging their feet. We need a week of brilliant sunshine to perk us all up again.

dilling said...

thanks, barb

Crafty Missus said...

it is the time of year. short days, crappy weather. here the snow makes it even more isolated, like you are on the moon, alone.
my high dose of meds barely do their job and my motivation is non exsistant.
st john's wort may help, things associated with st john's are usually good... (but you knew i'd pick up on that being the patriotic townie that i am.)
it is a 7 to 15 hour boat trip to get off my island and it is exspensive. the longer trip provides dog kennels that are pretty sad, it is that or, like you, leave them in the car. why are animals such second thought creatures....

Heidi the Hick said...

I swear by St John's Wort. I'm back up to two a day.

I totally understand your need to bring your camera. that's part of your healing. That's why you take pictures.

It's okay to be sad. Don't ever feel that you must apologize for it!

ldbug said...

I think the pictures are sort of a commemorative thing.

It's just that time of year to be glum, and it certainally doesn't help to have lost a family member. I hope the St. John's Wort helps.

Biddie said...

Winter always gets to me, too. The bleakness, the drabness....ugh. You're dealing with a great loss now, too. No wonder you're feeling down.
I love the photos, Emma is too precious. I couldn't leave that face, either.

CindyDianne said...

Dilling - your pictures are gorgeous and evoke all kinds of feelings in me. I think I'll go and take a walk now that I am back from the land of the moving out. And no, I couldn't leave that face alone.

katy said...

its crap that the animals have to stay in the car, i would stay with her too. most of us are feeling low in these cold, dark months but you are also having to deal with the loss of a loved one, hope the days start getting shorter for you soon x

Michael Colvin said...

January and February are the misery months. I think everyone is finding it such an effort to just get through the days at the moment.

Best wishes to you & Michael :)