Thursday, February 22, 2007

just another damn day in the hood

Bust, again. Across the street in one of the upstairs apartments. You know the ones, right? The ones selling crack....only they probably don't think it's illegal to sell crack here since.... you can go right downstairs and legally buy a crack pipe from this "CONVENIENCE STORE." Go figure. I don't really understand that one myself...nor do I understand the city granting this woman a business license. Once again, I can't buy a frickin' tomato there, but I can get a crack pipe, cigarettes, condoms and lighters...It says GROCERIES on her awning, not CRACK SUPPLIES.
This brown van? He drives around selling drugs. He was parked outside her store for a long time selling drugs to folks going in for pipes and such, though from the scary look of the guy, I would guess he may be moving meth. Of course, he's gone before the police ever respond. I know cuz we have called repeatedly about this van. I should just get a video camera and give a power point presentation at the next city council meeting....where I will be poo-pooed and I will once again watch the mayor's eyes roll in exasperation that we down here in the South End should want or deserve safe streets. I have watched those eyes roll personally more than once.

Here is a hooker getting into this blue van. She has just been to the brown van and to the store. I am really sorry that I didn't get the camera up in time. She was dressed like she was going to the Hooker's Ball or something. In-freaking-credible. I almost hope she comes back cuz I want to see the next outfit.





This is all happening in the course of a single morning...and only what I have taken pictures of...I know I rant often and I hope you can all bear with me. My hope being that maybe somebody(many somebodies) out there are Googling Nanaimo right now and hoping to come and visit. I hope that when they Google all the bright sunny sites that rave about Nanaimo, the will see mine, too. They will see that a vital, historic and beautiful neighbourhood in the precious downtown core is being regularly overlooked in the process of beautifying the downtown proper. The open air drug market of China Steps has absolutely been driven into the residential south end neighbourhoods. And though the RCMP and City Council could not turn a blind eye to it in the midst of the shopping district, they sure can turn a blind eye here...well, some of them just ROLL their eyes.
Last night was a crying shame and I don't even want to go into the whole story because I wouldn't know where to start or when to end. Okay, short story. Three cop cars, and seven cops confronted a car with a prostitute and her pimp who were selling drugs on our street. There were WITNESSES, hello? We all called in. And all three cars and seven officers? Let them stay. Didn't check the car, the backpack, didn't even smell the guy's breath and he was parked two feet away from the curb! Someone would have me walk a toe to toe line, touch my nose with my eyes closed for that parking job!!! My friend and neighbour has been hauled to jail for sleeping in his car on the street and he wasn't high, or drunk, or a prostitute, or selling drugs.....damn, I said it would be short, huh? Sorry.
So, let's go for a dog walk and get away for a bit, okay? To Morrell Wildlife Sanctuary...and Sanctuary for the broken downtown Nanaimo homeowner.
And ducks.






C'mon pile in the car with us....





We're on our way....






AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Here we are. Much better.






I will try to be shiny and happy tomorrow...you know, I didn't even really feel that awful today(we had sunshine)....but once I started telling you about it, it just poured out. I am off to take some St. John's Wort.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. I just don't get it. Who's getting paid under the table to turn a blind eye to the happenings (with photographic proof) on that street? A power point presentation with ALL neighbours wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Heidi the Hick said...

Please don't give up. It really is a beautiful neighbourhood and you deserve to be safe there.

I hope the drive to the sanctuary isn't a long one! Love the priate sticker on the dash.

Biddie said...

I hope that your neighbourhood gets cleaned up. I know that there is nothing like living on an older street, in a century home...Maybe the police will do something when they get tired of the phone calls. I dunno. Maybe your police are like mine, and too busy busting moms with forgotten items in their shopping carts.
I hop ethat the dog walkies improved your mood. I loved the photos. looks like spring is on the way in BC.

Crafty Missus said...

it is good to see that you've got such sweet company...
if it is any consolation? our mayor is an eyeroller, too.

dilling said...

How can I give up now, heidi? we just took a home equity loan to reinvest in the house...I have new appliances coming tomorrow and finally, all the outside trim will be painted ONE COLOUR this year...we get a new bamboo kitchen floor...gotta stay now.
and that was my friend's car...I do have have a pink skull sticker on mine, but it's not very pirate-y

cara, if you or i worked a real job behind a counter or something and rolled our eyes at a customer? we'd get fired....

Michael Colvin said...

What a bunch of useless arses the police are. And that crack pipe selling bitch knows it too or she wouldn't be selling stuff like that.

I hope your dog walks help you to get away from it all.