Tuesday, February 20, 2007

methodology on beating the blues....

Okay, so my methodology is barely working....I am taking St. John's Wort like candy and I should lay off the beer(but it does help!) and spend more time on the elliptical machine....but every single day, I take Eem-er(Emma) and myself and perhaps a couple of neighbours and their gods(OOOOH, I did mean DOGS, didn't I?) out for walkies. And that helps me to remember that Spring is coming....today we saw pussywillows blooming but I didn't have my camera. So you will have to settle for these...whatever they are, they are proof that Spring is coming and the days ARE getting longer. Just this morning, I kicked Michael out of bed cuz I thought he slept through the alarm once again...only to discover that there was still one half hour until it went off. It was THAT light. Of course, soon after, the clouds rolled in. And, of course, the snow drops just keep on coming up...HOORAH! Gives me hope.
But, every morning, Michael leaves for work and I doze off again. Then I wake up and wonder who this person in the bed is...this sad and angry person. I want her to go away, but, of course, it's me. Is it the season? Is dealing with this neighbourhood becoming too much? Is it the rain and the grey and just because it's February and winter has dragged on for so long I can't remember what it feels like to have warm bones? Those of you with SADS know what I am talking about, right? Why am I so angry all the time? So I drag myself out of bed and walk the dog...and find magic for a moment.

Like here, at Chase River Estuary, where a smallish flock or family or gaggle of swans has made it's wintering place. Sometimes they are closer, but never when I have my camera with me....go figure.


And these eagles.....



When things are real low, I can jump in the car and head out to Shady Mile for some good local farm produce, some local farm meat, farm fresh eggs... and???? Feed the animals in the "petting" area. It's not like these animals are trapped with thousands of people touching them. There are fences between them and you so if they want to deal with you, they will. And if they don't?



Well, you get the picture, right? "Ho hum. Humans. Boring."





Sparky , here, is one of my favourites....he could care less....but he raises my endorphin level a few notches. I don't like the name though, unless you are an electrician. Then? Sparky is a great name.





I don't know what it is that coming out here and feeding these animals does for me...I only know that it helps. Much like making this big lasagna tonight, out of the blue, and calling my friends to come eat at our home tonight helps. Wanna come, anyone? Open invitation.







How is everyone else feeling these days? Is it just the winter blahs? It seems so much stronger this year and I don't like it.







But I do like this tractor and I want to bring it home to my garden.









10 comments:

Biddie said...

I have been feeling much the same way. Winter seems to be dragging on, and I see no end in sight. It has gotten slightly warmer her,tho...
I love, love, the farm photos. Makes me smile, and that, my friend, is no small thing.

Anonymous said...

Yes winter has gone on too long this year and I too need my bones warmed up! Thats why I'm going to join my daughter Bronwynne in Costa Rica for a week in March(that'll warm them bones) Say hi to Em and Aethan for me

Michael Colvin said...

I love the petting zoo pics. If I was rich I would love to have a donkey sanctuary. they are so gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

It's the rain, the rain, the blasted rain. Fly over for a few days with Em and Aethan if you want...sometimes a change can be good. Just remember...YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Heidi the Hick said...

You've had a very hard winter, weather wise, and yeah I think anybody would got worn down from the neighbourhood crap.

I personally get worse in the spring. I can't quite figure it out. The last couple of days have been hard for me too. Luckily I had a steamy novel to keep me cheered up....!!!!!

Keep going out there to visit the critters. I am going out to my friend's barn today to pet her horses. My mental and emotional health demands it!

Maybe I'll do a whole posting on the critters I want to have on my farm someday. I love your citter pictures today. And the tractor.

Hugs to you.

ldbug said...

Sounds like you know what to do to cheer yourself up! I love feeding the animals. My roommate and I did that at the zoo last fall.

Spring will be here before you know it.

katy said...

yeah think we are all feeling the toll of this horrible time of year, i should be happy its my birthday soon, but even the thought of being yet another year older gets me down. oh well you cheered me up with the thought of spring on its way and with the farm animals, keep on going we will be into spring soon x

gawilli said...

We have a ways to go yet, but there is a light at the end of this long dark tunnel! We are planning a trip down South the end of March - hopefully we will see some signs of spring there. We are hoping for some dogwood and redbud blooms. Your pictures always make me feel better. Thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

i feel it too, missus and we just had a major dump of snow, i doubt we'll see spring til may... i have no motivation, and am irritated often. and i'm a high dose of meds. so we are singing this song in tune, i promise. maybe i should get a donkey, it'd be nice to have someone more stubborn than me to fight with. i could keep him in the shed if i got a roof on it!

CindyDianne said...

I've been having serious blues. But, I think it is more because of homelessness than "winter" blues. It has been sunny and 60ish degrees here for the last few days. That has helped though. What also helps is knowing that in ONE WEEK we will be moving in. **knocking on wood**