Friday, February 09, 2007

Coquihalla

I've shown you the road to Kamloops going on the other routes this summer, but this is the quickest, most used route. It is the only one we ever take if the weather is questionable at all, the Coquihalla Highway. Our drive was bright and sunny on the way there and the way home. The road was dirty, wet and salty, but clear. Thankfully so, as our nerves were a little frayed already and travelling this road is not always such a treat in the winter.
When the weather cooperates, though, it is spectacular. For now.

Though the pine beetles are not quite yet this far west, we were amazed to see how much further their devastation has spread. The trees, if anything, more obviously reddened and dying in the background of white snow.






This picture is at the rest stop near the toll both...see how the snow and ice is sliding off the roof on the left hand side there?




Look at it from underneath! Isn't that unreal? It is so beautiful!!!





And on the right side of the building, too.
By the way, DON'T USE THIS REST AREA BATHROOM unless the need is dire. It smells so bad in there!!! Ugh. Sorry. Don't mean to upset you, but really. You'd think they could take ten bucks from the toll booth earnings and plug in a Glade Air Freshener or something. Sheesh.





But this spot is a good place to walk (when there is no snow), stretch, look at the mountain and (an all time favourite activity of mine) feed birds. Ravens and Whiskey Jacks are here year round. I intensely love their bravado in taking food from my hand. Endorphins rush through me. I get warm. I grin until my cheeks hurt. My cheeks flush. It makes me giddy.







You can always find Hope on the way to or from Kamloops.








And finally, we loaded onto the ferry home again. The weather was grey and foggy again(it is the coast in winter, after all), and we watched the empty container ships lined up to be loaded on the waterfront of Nanaimo as our vessel neared the terminal, eager to sleep in our own bed and find comfort in our own touchstones.









3 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

Wow! I am so coming to Canada in the next couple of years!

Anonymous said...

i love the snow over hanging the building, like the tunnels for the traffic to go under in avalanche areas, that was an amazing part of the mountains...
glad you guys experienced some joys on the trip. keep well.

Anonymous said...

Great photos yet again. My mom and I came south on that highway about 15 years ago when we drove mom's old Bobcat across Canada from Ontario for my sister...it was dark with thick dense fog and we were the only ones crazy enough to be there (we didn't know!). I felt we'd left the planet and were driving through the clouds. It's nice to see it through the eye of your camera.