Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13th(whatever)

I got presents this week and it wasn't even my birthday...one came from an island on the other side of the country all the way to my island...from a crafty missus and a good friend, to boot, Cara. A vintage Snoopy book(that I didn't already have, that's pretty amazing!) and TWO handmade keychains...Eemer and Crook. How cool is that?!? Isn't she fantastic?
Thank you so much. I love it all! And? A lovely treat from Barb wrapped in lime green paper with a lime green ribbon came on a float plane from Sechelt, tucked into Aethan's bag when he came home from Nanny's yesterday. This little book is an absolute treasure. Thank you so very much, too.
Today the rains are back with a vengeance. It already looks like it's been raining for weeks out there. But the little break we had was enough to make things look better out in my little garden space...I even had to mow the lawn!!!

My asparagus patch that I planted last year looks like it seeded itself. Can't harvest anything this year, but it worked! I did that!!! Little asparuguses, asparagi, asparageese?



Out back, the evergreen clematis is thriving. It smells like candy. Sadly, we are not sure the passionflower survived this winter. It would be a shame if it didn't, it's so glorious. It may come back. I recall it didn't really take off last year until the weather got really warm. Cross your fingers. The raspberry bushes, the blueberry bushes, the gooseberry bush and the hops are all sending out new growth...the kiwi vines look great.


Up front, no tulips this year. I don't know what happened. The bulbs were only two years old. They should have some life left, shouldn't they? These little beauties are up now, though. Simple, sweet, breathtaking.




And this mass of yellow somethings...someone once called them Lion's Mane, but I don't think that's right. We didn't plant these, they were here when we bought the house. We almost pulled them out because at the time, it just looked like some old, tired weeds. What a happy accident.






And the daffies...what is spring without the daffies?





Such happy little faces.








Unlike Emma....she is not happy that it is raining again. Not happy at all.
Harumph.
Sometime this weekend, I will try to update you on the whole neighbourhood/house/move/not move situation. We are finally wrapping our heads around some things...I think. I hope.







8 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

I hope you can stay, and spread some of your little patch of paradise around the neighbourhood.

Michael Colvin said...

Very well put Heidi :) I love your clematis. I really want to get our new garden into shape this year. It is just lawn and a couple of pots at the moment.

CindyDianne said...

OH, you are growing aspargus. I want to grow asparagus!

Molly said...

Hello. I have not been here for a while, but I have enjoyed this visit. I love your great photos and your observations about life around you.

Anonymous said...

Dilling, your pictures are beautiful as always. I love it here. The evergreen clematis is new to me, but I had a passion flower at my old home. It did not make the move. And the asparagus - how cool is that? Poor Em - wishing sunshine for her!

Victoria said...

asparageese!

Victoria said...

PS I'm sorry I hogged all the sun this weekend : /

ldbug said...

What a pretty garden! We're just getting some blossoms in the park now...