Friday, April 27, 2007

walking and gawking

Walking:
We had a soggy walk the other day up at Harewood Mines...seems the Island has forgotten about the sun. Michael came with and he had the camera for some of these photos that really, truly capture moments of west coast's soggy treasures. I've mentioned before that these are my favorite trees, the Arbutus. This walk is chock full of them. Let's hope that the rumours that this land is slated for development are false. These trees are becoming more and more rare as where they grow is ideal development land.
They remind me of my grandmother's cabin. Remind me and I will show you a photo.

I grew up in this region(not B.C. but Washington State), but have never seen fuscia pine cones. There are a couple of trees on this walk that have these little beauties. Anyone? Is this normal?


Yuko at the end of a soggy walk. We miss you. Hope you are having a grand time so far!
Gawking:
Just because I loved it so, I asked the man sitting on this for a photo. He declined to be in it, but let me take a picture of his bike. Sweet....isn't it?




Emma likes it when Aethan's car seat is left in my car. She thinks it's a throne, I believe.



And, finally, now that the weather has warmed(raining like nobody's business, yes, but still warmer), Sebastion is out and about. I am WAITING for new shells to arrive in snailmail. He is too big for his current shell and it becomes harder and harder to find replacements. I don't think people who sell pet supplies anticipate that folks can keep these guys alive so long. Petco sells Hermit Crabs for pets BUT does not supply you with, nor can you special order, larger shells for when they molt. Does this seem either ethical or responsible? Normally, they can live 30 plus years, but molt and grow bigger all the time. Without providing larger shells, Petco is selling a pet doomed for a miserable death... my Sebastion, by the way, is a rescue pet, believe it or not. Seven years ago, I found him abandoned in his stupid plastic cage in a coffee shop in south Texas. He was 1/4 of the size he is now. His shells cost about a buck then! Now they are 15 bucks plus international shipping. He needs to get a damn job! And? His new shells need to get here!!! He is antsy and I am nervous!




So you all, have a good time this weekend...I have plenty of chores lined up to fill the moments of the days...rain or not, the new section of garden is going in, two trips to the dump, laying in a load of gravel AND a load of dirt, scooping out all the kitty litter, er, bark mulch, the previous owner put in and laying in a walkway instead.....sigh. I already need a nap!
Talk to you soon!





9 comments:

emily said...

can i come on a walk there if you go today? i want to see those pinecones!!!!

Biddie said...

I bet a soggy walk would b egood for my soul...Wish I had you and Emma to walk with...
So a hermit crab will just take to a new shell? Are they man made? I don't know much about them. How long do they live?
I hate pet stores. They rarely know the basics about any of the pets that they are selling, and just try to find someone over 20 that works there.
I mean, just much knowledge of Hermit Crabs or bunnies, or birds can a 17 year old drop out have?

Michael Colvin said...

Wow your day sounds extra busy. I found your post about pet responsibility an interesting read. Personally I don't like to see birds in cages or fish in tanks. It seems rather cruel to me. But then I also think cat and dog owners should be vetted to my personal standards. I guess I'm a bit of a pet Nazi.

Biddie said...

Oh, Tod, we have pet birds. I keep their cages open almost all of the time, and they are pretty much free to play all day whereevr they want.
I know that some people think that it is cruel to have a Blue Jay, and I guess it is. He can't survive on his own, though, and there aren't any facilities that will take him. If I let him go, he would be eaten by a hawk, or starve to death. Sometimes I wonder if I did him a favour by rescuing him. He does seem happy....
Iam with you on dog and cat owners, tho. :)

katy said...

wow those pine cones are something else, they look like birds. i didn't know that you had to buy new shells thought they grew them am i dumb or dumb?!

Michael Colvin said...

Hey Biddie, I'm sure your birds are happy with you. It sounds like fun at your house :)

Biddie said...

Tod, I don't how much it is at my house...Somedays ar more fun than others, to be sure. The one drawback is that we listen a lot of 80's music. That includes, Howard Jones. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

So you didn't take pink tissue, form it into little rosettes and hot glue it to the pine tree? I've NEVER seen or even heard of a conifer looking like the one you photographed. You discover some amazing things on your dog walks. The doctored photos of crazy girls are hilarious.
And...that's quite the Dukes of Hazzard-orange bike.
I wish I had a shell to send over for poor cramped crab.

Heidi the Hick said...

I had no idea that hermit crabs move into a shell- I thought they made their own...no idea that pine cones can be pink! Cooool!