Tuesday, April 17, 2007

one small prayer for Virginia Tech...




Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89). Poems. 1918.

Spring and Fall
to a young child


MÁRGARÉT, áre you gríeving
Over Goldengrove unleaving?
Leáves, líke the things of man, you
With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?
Áh! ás the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder
By and by, nor spare a sigh
Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;
And yet you wíll weep and know why.
Now no matter, child, the name:
Sórrow’s spríngs áre the same.
Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed
What heart heard of, ghost guessed:
It ís the blight man was born for,
It is Margaret you mourn for.

3 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

Sometimes I just want to shut myself away from the rest of the world.

Heidi the Hick said...

I can't believe it.

I want it to stop.

Your photo is beautiful and heartbreaking. We need a lot of prayers in this world.

Biddie said...

I still can't fathom the the cruelty in this world.