Monday, October 02, 2006

roadtrip(second installment)

Sproat Lake...Sproat, not Sprout.... it is a beautiful little spot to soak in the sun and have an adventure. We thought so anyway, and so did this little chickadee...sweetness.
Petroglyphs here on the water...they are difficult to photograph, but well worth the short stroll to see them up close and personal. They are all water creatures...
...like these....the skeletal remains of a crawdad, crawfish, crayfish...I think we covered these linguistics in an earlier post...anyway, the poor thing makes my heart ache...makes me think of Sebastion, my hermit crab, and how happy I am that he made it through another moulting and is back with us among the land of the living. I had been beside myself for weeks lately, waiting for his reappearance...if I had seen this little sad sight last week, I might have cried. How many people are moved by the sight of a dead crawdad? I have not eaten lobster or crab in many a year, either...Heaven help me if I ever had a pet chicken(of which I did have many once, and I was a vegetarian at that time)...or cow...go ahead, call me soft!!!
This is where the water bombers slumber...it is nice that they are sleeping. It is a good thing....a peaceful thing. Sleep long and sound here in Sproat Lake, guys. We like it better when you are resting.
Well, one more installment should do it...stay tuned...I am working with photoshop to try and show you the salmon running(by the thousands) up Stamp River...tomorrow, ok?

7 comments:

Crafty Missus said...

i am alwas struck by the mountains in your shots. nothing like that round town... mountains and ocean, sounds ideal.
the crawfish shot is awesome, sad and beautiful. oh and don't worry i'll eat any of the lobster you don't want!

gawilli said...

Glad your back! Ditto on the lobster Cara. Hope to see the salmon pictures. Looks like a wonderful trip.

Biddie said...

Wonderful photos, as usual. Do you feel rested? So glad that you were able to get away.

Anonymous said...

Great shot of the petroglyphs...I've seen ones in Ontario, but not out here. And...so pleased to hear that your hermit crab is up and about again. Don't let him see THAT photo!

Michael Colvin said...

I love all the photos. Wow to just go out and find Petroglyphs like that. Wow!

katy said...

yet again amazing photos i am jealous!

Heidi the Hick said...

What? There are petroglyphs in Ontario? Where!

I'm so glad you have a camera!