Sunday, October 01, 2006

roadtrip(first installment)

Cathedral Grove, an old growth forest surrounding the road for a while on our trip....the powers that be think we need to put in paved parking, to make room for more visitors....I think it is perfect, as do most Vancouver Island residents. There are never too many many people, there is never a day when you can't see what you came to see here, the TREES....
....the very big trees.
The light is soft and green, every little thing is in a soft-focus world of moss. The sun filters down through layers and layers of branches to speckle the ground and those of us walking beneath...breathe deep, it smells so good here.
There is a little river here and the light plays here, too.
Forest-born and green, I was raised in the Pacific Northwest, but there is no "getting used to" scenes such as these...the play of light, the intricacies of the colour green, the softness of the earth and the way you can feel so very tiny at exactly the same time you feel a part of something so vast....how could you ever tire of such things? There is such a thing as a saving grace...and I have touched the face of god on many occasions...my god, anyway.

4 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

WoW! Amazing pics. I have always loved woodland the most. It looks beautiful. I am glad you had a great trip. More photo's please!

Anonymous said...

I feel as though you just took me my the hand and walked me through the forest...fabulous photos and words to match!

Heidi the Hick said...

I am so glad that you have a camera, travelling feet, and a way with words!

katy said...

great photos, you sure know good walks