Monday, October 16, 2006

from Kamloops

We took the Hope-Princeton Route home, a long and scenic drive through the mountains from Kamloops. It is fall...no better time for it. I don't know the name of this lake but it will forever marked in my mind as "the green lake." When we are in our nineties, I will turn to Michael and say, "Honey, do you remember that green lake?" and he will turn me and say, "How could I ever forget that green lake? Wasn't it beautiful?"
The Thompson River from up above...what a long and winding road through the mountains. The poor orange van labouring along at the mind boggling speed of 30k sometimes...on the curves were all these caution signs telling us to slow down. We laughed at every one of them. As if...we'd have to speed up to hit their slow speed...and cold? Yippur, it was a cold drive for a while. We love our van...we do. But sometimes, two pairs of socks, our warmest boots, and three layers of clothes isn't even enough. That's when we long for a real heater in there... and maybe a real stereo.
Look at that sky, would ya? Wow. And all those logs piling up at the end of this lake(name also unknown). You could walk all the way to the other side of the lake on this log jam.
Whiskey Jack... ...........also known as a Camp Robber. Some folks don't like them much. I love creatures with this much bravado. They make my heart beat fierce and I feel something akin to falling in love. Actually, in all honesty, most of the time we are outdoors exploring, I feel that mad rush of endorphins...a giddy-head-over-heels feeling I equate to being, or falling, in love. Watching the salmon in the river knots my stomach and I ache for them on their journey. I am deeply and wholeheartedly honoured to have this bird sit on my hand...to be in communion with something more in tune with nature than I am. I can be overwhelmed with my own emotions, which is not always an easy way to live a life, but I am more than grateful for that response in times like these.
Joffree Lake and glaciers...these glaciers are there all year round, even in the summer, though I believe they are shrinking. These lakes are glacier fed, cold and deep, green as a jewel. I didn't know which picture I liked more so,
I put them both up. Well, now, we didn't stop too much after this. We stopped in Whister, but not much there worth photographing...besides, we will all be sick of the sight of it by 2010!!! The road out of Whistler was hell, under construction all the way into Vancouver, so there wasn't much opportunity to stop. It worked out well that way, as we just made the 7 o'clock ferry anyway. One more stop and we'd have missed it. So there you have it...another roadtrip...
Thanks, Tod and Cara, for the advise...I did load up the car with neighbours and dogs and head up to the hills for a hike. It is sunny after days of gloom and grey...the moss was like blankets of down beneath our feet and the air was clean and fresh. Came home and photos loaded...though I still haven't found my 10-key, I guess that just means it will keep until tomorrow. I have a special treat chilling in the fridge for tonight...I will post pictures tomorrow of a recipe that Martha might like to know about, as long as you all don't tell her, cuz Martha can kiss my ass....did I just say that?!?
Feeling much better now!!!! Thanks for bearing with me!

11 comments:

Crafty Missus said...

love these shots. the bird sitting on your hand is wonderful. i am always in awe when wildlife choses to take part in the lives of us lowly humans.
and glaciers! i never done saw one of those... unless you count an iceberg... but that's not the same thing.
glad your spirits are lifted.

dilling said...

I would LOVE to see an iceberg...but, we'll be there one day to visit!! That's a promise...of course, maybe NOT in iceberg season, as there are not enough pairs of socks for that trip in our van!!!!

gawilli said...

Your pictures are always breathtaking. Your love of the world around you is very apparent in your photos. I know that fierce heart beat. It's the one that lets you know you are really alive!

Anonymous said...

And to think some people just drive on by and never stop to smell the roses...or hold a Whiskey Jack in their hand! Would that every person on the planet could appreciate the wonder and beauty of it. Sometimes we only have to look down to discover that the treasure we've been searching for lies at our feet (must look up the actual wording of that line, but that's close enough to it)!

Michael Colvin said...

Wow! What a fantastic trip! Canada is on my top five places I have yet to visit and your pictures inspire me to do it soon. But to do it in an old camper with our feet freezing would be pure magic. Sometimes it's the little things that mean the most.

Heidi the Hick said...

That paragraph under the photo of the whiskey jack in your hand....that choked me up!!!!

Biddie said...

My God, dilling...You amaze me constantly. I loved the photos, the descriptions, unbelievable...
The photo and paragraph about the whiskey jack...defies descripton. Honestly. I can't get my blue jay to sit on my hand like that, and I feed him everyday. There is a quality about you that even the birds can see..Wonderful.

dilling said...

Whisky Jacks come to anyone with a crust of bread or a granola bar...don't turn your back on your picnic table or you will have nothing left. It's not magic, just their sheer audacity!!! But I love them anyway. Just for that thrill of tiny toenails grasping my fingers, brave and fearless...I swear I heard this one say Please and Thank You, though...in little chirrup-y chirps.

dilling said...

tod....I have not seen enough of Canada...dream of a coast to coast trip,, then back through the middle of the US...
Life....Jays are brave, too, just not as fearless...maybe they are smarter than whisky jacks... give it time and he will come to you...

Biddie said...

My Jay is too brave, that's the problem. He runs our house. We've had him over a year, he should be good by now....
Honestly, you have to see Nova Scotia. If you are ever in Ontario, you'll have to come see us. I would love to meet your family! We could make prickly pear drinks! KC would love it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! When are you going to publish a book. I am going to keep bugging you about it, so you might as well do it. Much Love, Scoob