Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Prickly Pear Margaritas

*Use very ripe uncooked fruit, cleaned and peeled. You can just slice off the stickers, if the store didn't do it for you. You peel a prickly pear fruit by very carefully slicing down one side of the fruit, then, using the knife, pulling back the peel until you come all the way around the fruit. Look at those colours!!!
Then puree it with either a food processor or blender, and chill. Wow.
1 ounce premium tequila 1/2 ounce Grand Marnier (we use Triple Sec), 2 1/2 ounces peeled and pureed prickly pears, chilled 2 1/2 ounces prepared sweet-and-sour mix(we use lime cordial but I am sure Magarite mix will work just fine), lime wedges, coarse salt, 1 cup ice cubes


Prepare margarita glass rim by dipping into lime juice, and then coarse salt. Put ice into a shaker. Add tequila, Grand Marnier, fruit and sweet and sour. Shake vigorously and pour into prepared margarita glass. Garnish with a wedge of lime.

Cheers.

11 comments:

Michael Colvin said...

Oooh they look fab! I love margaritas. I drank them for breakfast by the pool in Vegas on my fortieth birthday. I would love to try your recipe but doubt we could get prickly pears here.

ldbug said...

OMG! I'm soooooo writing down that recipe for when I get back to MT!! We have so many prickely pear, it was almost voted our state flower!

Biddie said...

That looks SOO good. I could just see me getting tipsy and spilling it all over myself...Probably stains, too.
But Oooh, it looks good!

Heidi the Hick said...

You are way classier than me. That's too pretty to drink!!

Got any beer? Ha ha!

dilling said...

there is always beer at my house!!! usually at least a couple different "flavours."

dilling said...

ldbug!!! have you ever made priclly pear jelly??? I may go back to the store for more pears so I can try it...maybe I will ask Michael's mom to pick them fresh for me in 'Loops next time they come around...
the texture is a little, um, strange, but the flavour is yummy!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

That looks so good. The first drink I ever tried was a lime margarita at Montana's Steakhouse. I was 15, but it was so good.

dilling said...

lime is still my favourite...

gawilli said...

Well I have never had prickly pear anything that I can remember, but it sure looks good!

Anonymous said...

Is there a non-alcoholic version or can I just buy a prickly pear so I can admire that gorgeous colour? Guess I'll have to stick with rhubarb nectar!

dilling said...

barb, prickly pear jelly must be this colour, too!!!!