Friday, October 12, 2007

there's a box full underneath my bed....

Holy schmokes...when one finds oneself in a little funk, we find ways of distraction. I was looking for my ghost beads from my time in Colorado... it's a whole story unto itself so let's forget about that for the time being, okay? But while I was looking for them, I came across these... and no matter how old some of them are, they made me think of some of you,(yes-you out there reading now). These are just a few...really, I wish I had just ONE place I put all these so that I could show them all...but even with this batch there are so many more that I could photograph...once upon a time, I probably went to a concert or two a week...working for TicketMaster could be a problem if you want to pay rent.... These are from the two BEST Bowie concerts I ever saw...there are way more of these. But these were the best. And? At Dodger Stadium, in 1990, I sat across the aisle from Charlie Sexton and Billie Idol, Random. It was a fun night...but the music was better in 2004. He really knew how to make the music feel INTEGRAL to you then...beat (turn up the volume and the bass and it still won't give you any idea) inside your blood, with your heartbeat.
First time I saw Willie I got high...on second hand smoke. Freaked my dad out, but I wouldn't leave. I just wouldn't leave. I hadn't hear him sing City of New Orleans yet. Once I heard him sing it, I felt fine.
Last time I saw Willie is when the Hoity Toity crowd seemed displeased that he wasn't singing only the tried and true Willie Nelson songs.
I couldn't count how many times in between I have seen him.

This I pulled out cuz I thought Four Dinners would love me just a little bit more. I was in the pit with Ramones' spit on me ....Gawd...she was radiant . Really. The tide WAS high that night. You should have been there.

And Heidi? You should have seen the tantrum Axle had that night ONSTAGE ...I think it was the night he decided to break up the band. It was a beauty. Living Colour opened. It doesn't say that on the ticket. They were amazing.



And for Wulf.... yeah, if I had handcuffs that night, I would still be attached to her ankle.



22 comments:

Olly said...

Wow, you should make a scrapbook with all these stubs and tell a little story about each concert. I'm really envious of the Ramons/Debra Harry one.

Not too much into concerts anymore (the crowds mostly), but I think my best one was Queen in '79. The other was in a bar in Vancouver (Town Pump) where Black Oak Arkansas was playing for one night.

Great Post!!! Have a good weekend.

captain corky said...

What?!? No Colts tickets? What kind of American are you?

Oh wait... You live in Canada. What?!? No Argonauts tickets? What kind of Canadian are you?

katy said...

wow you been to lots of concerts!
i would buy a couple of big frames and display them all.

Coffeypot said...

Nice collection of memories. I suggest you go to your closest Wal Mar (or the equivalent) and get one of those albums used in collecting baseball cards. They are clear so you can see the whole card and the pockets are big enough to hold the whole card. You could sort them out to suite your needs, (alphabetically, by date, by city, etc.) It would/could be a fun exercise.

dilling said...

Corky...I have tickets to see the local hockey team... does that count for anything?

FOUR DINNERS said...

GABBA GABBA HEY!!!!!

FOUR DINNERS said...

....n I do... x

Christine said...

I wish I had saved mine. They would be kewl to show my kid who is in that going to concert age himself now. But then he's probably ask questions and since I was high all the time, I'd probably have to make all the memories up.

Heidi the Hick said...

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were at the Axl meltdown show???!!!!!!!!!

Listen, I loved you already, seriously, but THIS!

You really do rock in a serious way. We should hang. We really should. Except that there's a few thousands KMs in the way and I'm broke. But other than that.

Someday you will have to give me the total description of the meltdown. I love him much more now than I did then. Time mellows a person.

I loved this trip through your concert ticket box. More exciting than mine. I do have to say that David Bowie is amazing. How such a gorgeous big voice can come out of such a skinny man...and his cheekbones!!!! Sigh. I love rock stars. Thanks for the tour!

Heidi the Hick said...

Almost forgot-

Annie Lennox and I share a birthday. Means nothing and yet it's so important to me!

dilling said...

that was just a few...
edie brickell, jane siberry, voice of the beehive, the cult, erasure, paul simon, lyle lovett, dwight yoakum and clint black, indigo girls, sarah mclachlin, buff st. marie, harry connick jr(I saw him in Honolulu, double plus!), duran duran, merle haggard, bif naked...cowboy junkies, 20 others I am forgetting ...a thousand tiny local l.a. bands....farm aid with EVERYONE....funny how a trip to the grocery store can reduce me to tears but a good concert? Whole other story...

raine said...

I am so not worthy - I saw Willie in Edmonton, he was late. My big concerts are only a handful...sigh. I so don't rock. But then I never did. Is it too late to start at 45? Jame is much coller than me - he's been to lots.

Love the same park, different pictures idea!! What park? Or street? Or what?

Anonymous said...

Hello from Nashville! We are killing time until the 10:00 show at 3rd and Lindsley - Colin Linden and Gary Nicholson (Whitey Johnson). Well I'm killing time - Willi's watching the Razorbacks play Auburn.

My first concert was Joe Cocker and Leon Russell with Rita Coolidge - Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour. It was outstanding. This looks like a fun post to put together. I would like to give it a try when we get home.

I started a project a few years back scanning concert tickets, CD liners, etc. and printing them on paper that could be ironed on to fabric. I got sidetracked and didn't finish, but we had planned to sew the muslin patches together for a wall hanging or quilt. Sounds kind of hokey I guess.

Axle Rose is an Indiana boy. Not much of a jungle here. I love Annie Lennox. Have you ever heard Steve Goodman do City of New Orleans? He was a good soul.

dilling said...

Gawilli~Wow...that's a great first concert...mine was the Beach Boys. I hate them. But my dad loved it so there you go...I got free tickets in JR. High for my grades, some weird incentive program.
I think the iron ons would best be served as tees, rather than weird/bad concert photo tees(I always buy them and never wear them except for pajamas)...I think I may try something like that. Thanks!!!! I do have some Steve Goodman, and a cover of City of New Orleans he sang with John Prine.

Rain, he was not late...he probably hadn't finished smoking... hahahaha... Gawd, I love him.

Heidi...I have been looking at "hobby farms" somewhere near something called Land O'Lakes....you know, I have a friend or two moving there...who rocks Ontario? Maybe we will.

Michael Colvin said...

A great post. I am so jealous that you got to see Bowie! I saw Blondie just a few years back and she still rocks. I also saw the Eurythmics back in the 80's, one of my favourite concerts ever.

dilling said...

mine, too...

Anonymous said...

got any prine??

dilling said...

nope...sadly. My friend won tickets last year on the day of the concert in Vancouver but I couldn't make it cuz we had plans... next time though...I wish he played smaller venues.
I would like to see Kris, too.

Heidi the Hick said...

GAh! You saw Duran Duran too????? Enveeeee!

And you've seen RHCP too. sigh.

I think it is incredibly wrong that I have yet to attend a Farm Aid concert. Just wrong.

dilling said...

I have NOT seen RCHP...I have seen Antony while shopping in a record store in L.A....looking for albums in the bins directly across from me.
Michael has seen RHCP, just before they got HUGE, when they were still playing small venues. He loved them.

emily said...

I've seen Simon and Garfunkel and Gordon Lightfoot. And the Beastie Boys and then a bunch of useless bands.

I almost saw Sinead O'Connor. But she got pregnant and cancelled. Poop.

dilling said...

Simon AND Garfunkel? Damn you! And the BEATIE BOYS!!!
B-OCCE, woman. How did you keep that from me for so long?