Friday, October 26, 2007

Photo Assignment: Bowen Park

I've heard it said that into every life, a little Rain must fall... thank goodness, thank goodness. We decided to see the same places in order to see how we see them differently...see? Yeah, see? Weather finally permitting, last week, we both walked Bowen park. I thought she might have gotten the short end of the stick, since I got the better weather, for sure, but I don't really think so anymore. Did you see her photos? It's no secret that when this town, this neighbourhood, these circumstances make me feel trapped that I have weapons...a leash, a dog, a camera, my feet. I have a way that I feel which I look for out here...it's not that I find that feeling through the lens, nor even that I remember it through the photos(though I can), because I can remember moments that have so consumed me that I never even thought to snap off a picture, even if they happened a lifetime ago.

However, these photos I can share with you...and you...and you. Bringing you all along on these walks has introduced me to some friends of mine and opened up a space for us to be...and I like it here in our space.
This is my favorite spot in this park. I couldn't really tell you why. I like how I feel right here. That is one of the reasons I love bringing you along.


I have enjoyed the challenge of trying to find words which echo what I am really feeling out here because I don't always convey myself well in "the real world." I am not always sure that people "get" what these moments are all about to me...sometimes I am sure I frighten folks on these trails when they come across me crouched forever studying something they can't see. Mwuhahahaha.



Right here, I get right up close to the falls and close my eyes. The roar of it drowns everything else out. It becomes just me. I become just me. I don't think about anything else for that glorious roaring time. In Texas, on South Padre Island, Michael and I used to swim out past the first breakers and float, belly up, between the incoming waves of the first and second breakers. All you could hear was water. Fifteen minutes of that was like a good massage followed by eight hours of deep, sound sleep. Standing next to the falls is kind of like that...maybe more like a sweet (but short) nap.



This park is pretty magical...for some folks, I am sure it is all about the river...Millstone River. It is beautiful. It's course is astounding, slicing through slick rock and pounding now throughout spring. It will be a mere trickle in the late summer.





However, there is so much more to this park than the river. It's manicured. It has hangnails, too.
The wildness of the river trails, the calm waters of the outdoor community pool, horseshoes, disc golf, high-pitched children's voices rising over the seniors' activity center... it is a park for the ages, all ages. It is a park with a heartbeat.






The funny thing is, I didn't really feel too inspired to get out there for photos...these past weeks have really been taxing and I just didn't think I would get "there." At first, I was just pointing and shooting...I admit it. I didn't have it.





But then, rustling through the leaves, watching the filtering of the light, searching for the treasures I might share, I found it. That place I like to be. That way I like to feel. I have a hundred photos to prove it...how do I choose?








And another funny thing is this....you still don't even have a picture of "the Park." In total. You know what I mean? Rain didn't give you a photo of the park. I didn't give you a photo of the park. You still don't really know what the park looks like, do you? Granted, it is a pretty big park, but still...neither of us has given you the big picture.










We gave you tiny moments.










But I think they make a grander statement. Don't you? Thanks for coming along with us.
You choose the next one, Rain. Krista? I hear you want to play, too?!? This is gonna be good.











17 comments:

katy said...

wow wonderful how clever of you two, cant wait for the next instalment

Coffeypot said...

It sho is purty up your way.

Michael Colvin said...

Wow. You have outdone yourself. The pic of the red leaves is stunning. A great post of both pics and words. Thanks for sharing.

Heidi the Hick said...

Ohhhh...


sigh....


the tiny moments are so much bigger than that big picture...

(I really needed that today. Thank you.)

Anonymous said...

I do, I really do. I am up for the challenge. I'll keep my ears open for the next location and look forward to it. Thanks for the welcome :)

We do live in such a beautiful town, sometimes I have to look a little harder to see it, but other times it hits you straight smack in the face (like today, right now).

It's a great idea to share it like this. Dilling, your photos are smashing.

Olly said...

Once again, beautiful pictures. I should be at that park today enjoying the sunshine. I seem to be having one of those weeks were everything I do goes to hell, with the latest being my F&^%$$^ car.

hmmm... (grrr)

Maybe if the weather is good I'll get there tomorrow. You have inspired me.

Anonymous said...

Incredibly good pictures!

raine said...

Finally! I get to be at home and settle in...and there are your pictures! What a pile of awesomeness! I love your chained leaf and your duckie...and the totem. Why did I know you would pick the totem? Love your written blog work, too. How do you find all these links? I declare the first assignment a rousing success. I'll have to think about next week..should I pick a park? Or a street? Or a place? hhhmmm....

georgia strait said...

Good pictures! I haven't been to the falls for a long time - I must go back. All these pictures remind me of all the places that I want to see again.....

FOUR DINNERS said...

That is one beautiful place. Love waterfalls n rapids.

dilling said...

Georgia...care to join us next time?!?

emily said...

How cool will it be if you to run across each other one day on your photo assignment? Dilling won't be hard to miss with a camera and Eemer in tow!

How fun, anyone want to play a North Van version?

Anonymous said...

It's been a Mad Hatter fall...with me wearing the hat, visiting to and fro, painting walls and dashing out to catch the sun in the garden. Then I visit your blog and feel as though I've been transported to a wonderful place. Great photos and super writing. I stand in awe!

dilling said...

Olly, it's one of the weeks all the way around. Hope you get some good, relaxing weekend time......You, too, Barb.

katy said...

you got yourslef an award call and collect it when you can, i am off for a week bye for now

Anonymous said...

Wish I lived by you. I want to play, too.

captain corky said...

Such a beautiful park. I just love looking at that river.