Monday, October 15, 2007

Rip Van Winkle

Sebastion has finally emerged from another molt. He is already too big for his new shell! It took two special orders and shipment from Florida to get it here and he's ready to move up NOW.
But it is always a relief to see his little beady eyes and pointy toes emerge from his little cave after a molt. I like to hear him rattling around in his habitat.
This picture isn't too great...he is coming out of his cave, where he has spent the past month, shedding his old exoskeleton, growing a new one
and generally ignoring us all out here. I didn't want to make him regret his decision to join us again by popping the flash off in his face. Besides, he has morning hair going on.
Well, that's it. None to exciting, huh?

15 comments:

raine said...

Hey Sebastian! How cute is he? Does he smell (I know, how rude of me to ask)? Is our photo experiment rain or shine?

dilling said...

I won't melt...and I have to walk Eem-er everyday, rain or shine, so I can do...but if you don't want to, we can wait til fairer weather. The light won't be so good in the rain. So, you're call, really. No pressures...

dilling said...

Oh, he is not smelly himself...the habitat gets a little smelly after a bit...we just keep it cleaned up, change the different containers at different times, if they need, and one big clean every month or two.

raine said...

I will try and get out for tomorrow unless it's pouring...then I will wimp out. I'm ok with drizzle but don't want to get soaked 'casue I have to look a bit presentable for work... at least not drowned. I'm watching city council tonight. What a bunch of boneheads.

Biddie said...

I think that he is cute...I know that Shawn would love to have a crab, but we have enough critters that I am responsible for....

katy said...

he is fascinating, dont know if i could have one though

captain corky said...

I always wanted a hermit crab when I was a kid. Maybe I'll get one for Max when he gets older, or mabye I'll get him a dragon instead. ;)

Michael Colvin said...

Reading this reminds me of that book. The highest Tide. :)

Heidi the Hick said...

Hmmm...we have lots of pet dragons.

And the Highest Tide is next on my reading list!

How bout that!

emily said...

Welcome back, Sebastian! Hey, maybe now that he's ready for a new shell you can get a shot of him without it on! That would be racical sabatical.

dilling said...

Yay for the Highest Tide. I would LOVE to get a series of naked Sebastion.
He'd be mortified if I put them on the net...

raine said...

Hey - my email is aidlyn@shaw.ca. No probs about today...it was too icky around lunch time for me anyways!

Olly said...

Looks like he is giving you a rude gesture for taking his picture.

FOUR DINNERS said...

Bet he's real crabby in the morning...

...soz..I'll get me coat

dilling said...

Olly, it looks like 4D is giving me the rude gesture, too!