Tuesday, October 02, 2007

point and shoot...stuff and nonsense

Here he sits...forlorn and disappointed...my first digital window to the world. I still love you, you know. We can still hang out together once in a while...sorry, I'm so sorry...really, I am. Forgive me. You've given me so much. I'm a heel, I know. I just feel like I need a bit more...I know that sounds callous after all we've been through together. What more can I say? There is somebody else who is not happy about a new camera in the house. Gah, she hates when I get the need to photograph her. Here, I was simply trying to figure out the funky settings on the camera...she was ASLEEP when I pointed it at her. Honest. How does she know?!?
Someone else in the house LOVES it, though. Me me me me-ow. Please don't look at how filthy my kitchen floor is. This lino is 25 years old if it's a day. The top layer of it worn away and it just doesn't come clean anymore unless I bleach it, or use comet scrubbing powder...which I do, but not very often cuz, well, it's bleach and I have pets. It's on the list of projects...but, in case you didn't know, we're involved in about 5 major projects at the moment.

The macro feature on the new camera will take some getting use to...well, everything will take some getting use to. There are so many more features on this model. This is a pretty nice first try, with no attempt at changing aperture or f-stop. It's super crappy lighting outside today...unless you are taking black and white photos.
This is one of the last things blooming in my garden right now. I really am not prepared for the coming of winter already. I really feel I was cheated out of a summer this year...I don't feel I have recovered from last winter's blues, and already it feels like it's been a long time since I've seen the sun.




This one is from the bouquet Michael brought home on my birthday. A nice big bouquet all in pink. Lilies, carnation, gerbers....other ones that I don't know the names of. Every girl should have flowers on her birthday. I think Michael heard me once say that to a little neighbour girl on her 11th birthday when I delivered her a bouquet. He's a good man, my Michael.


Here's a little peek at the plastering in the master bedroom. I had been trying to get a photo up for a while but the old man(first camera) couldn't seem to pick up the texture and it always just looked like a mottled mess.
It's wild, eh? I know it's not for everyone, but we love it. Our bedding and curtains will be a soft, mossy green...and there is a top trim rail nearly two feet short of the 11 foot ceiling. Everything above that will be white...



And the wood trim looks fantastic against the orange, eh? It's not even got the stain on it yet. The stain will darken the wood a bit so that it really will just make an elegant statement.






Okay, I was really just taking pictures to play with the camera, learn some stuff about it. I miss the old man because I knew all his idiosycracies...I have to admit this new one will take a little more getting used to than I was really prepared for. There is so much other stuff going on right now that taking the time needed to feel my way around new territory seems daunting...but it is a beauty and she sure feels nice in my hand. I wish the weather were brighter and the blooms were still out...but it's not as if I don't have things to do!





7 comments:

raine said...

I very nearly took that camera home with me when I bought mine...I would have, but bought a Canon for the same reason you have the Olympus - that's what I had before! It's a lovely camera. There is a lot to learn, isn't there? I'm thinking about taking a photo course at Malaspina in November but the only one being offered is in Parksville...love the kitty picture and the plaster - it's too cool, but looks like sooo much work. Did you put the plaster on and paint it, or is that the colour?

Victoria said...

coooool

katy said...

gosh i envy you your photobility, you sure know how to use a camera.
love Emmmmer and the kitty.
the bedroom walls are fantastic by the way

dilling said...

Rain~it's coloured plaster...one coat orange then one coat yellow and then another orange...then you burnish it...a lot...then you polish it...
whew. if there is a malaspina course at malaspina, let me know! I have tried photo courses three times in college but being in the darkroom scared the crap outta me(more cuz I was in there with people I didn't know than, ya know, the dark)but since this is digital, I may not have to drop out!

And thanks, you guys, for the compiments...I love my walls...love them.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous walls and wood trim. I feel a million miles away from the happenings in blogland (yours is the first I clicked to visit...and it's been weeks), discovered I missed your birthday (HAPPY BELATED), drooled over those great holiday shots and I'm sitting here wondering how on earth your photos could possibly get any better, even with a new camera.

Marni said...

I just got a new camera, too! I'm having a hard time adjusting from a point and shoot jobber to a newer, fancier picture taker. I look forward to many new pics from you!

Michael Colvin said...

I love the kitty pic too. He looks so much fun! I totally dig the plaster, it looks so cool against the wood.

lol at the thought of pervs in the darkroom!