Tuesday, August 14, 2007

b occe

Well, the weather has been uncooperative for camping this summer... sunny and warm all week and rainy and cool every weekend. And since we have so many home improvement projects on the go, we opted to stay home this weekend. That doesn't mean we didn't appreciate the fact that it was, indeed, the weekend. We ordered pizza with friends, drank some beer and in between rain showers, played bocce in the park. I am so thankful we didn't rent a movie because Saturday night was Road Block Sobriety Checkpoint Night. Right out front of my house.
You must remember how much I love Roadblock Night.
Is it wrong of me? Maybe.


Do I care? Nope.



Not a bit. It's better than cable.





(This is not my photo, but the photo information was unavailable...so whoever took this, if you find your picture here on my site, thank you. I tried to give you credit but your page seems to have "expired.")

Sunday night, Michael and I piled pillows and blankets into the car and headed up to "the Wastelands," a spot up out of town a bit where the dirtbike riders like to go race around. No city lights, no traffic, nobody around but two other cars of stargazers. We stretched out on the cold ground, listened to one very talkative owl, and watched the Perseids meteor showers. It was chilly, the dog was anxious and we were giddy and giggley. I am sure I saw a UFO. It was a very fun time.
Now it's Tuesday, the shopping for the week is done, laundry is washing while we speak. The walk-in closet is replastered, the baseboard and trim scraped and refinished, the new brick patio in the backyard is laid.
Tomorrow, I guess, I can start stripping the baseboards and trim in the bedroom once I can put everything back into the closet!

17 comments:

Victoria said...

mmmmm bocce!

Coffeypot said...

You did see a UFO. Sunday night was the height of some annual meatier shower. Once a year the Earth goes through a lot of meatier dust left over from some passing comet. I don’t remember the names of the annual shower, the name of the comet, but I do remember reading about it. I’m also too damn lazy to look it up. I’ll just agree with you that you did indeed see something Sunday night. Now run for you life.

Coffeypot said...

Oh, yeah! What is bocce? I'm too damn lazy to look that up, too.

dilling said...

coffeypot! we were watching that meteor shower! And besides the meteors, I saw something else...I believe....
you'll have to wikipedia bocce, I can't write it all out here! it's a good time, though.

Heidi the Hick said...

You're good stuff to get at the home improvement projects! I have to do two bedrooms this summer.

One, pink with orange trim.

One, flat black with stars.

Think we'll ever be able to sell this house????

Olly said...

We missed the meteor shower. Thought it would be too cloudy so didn't bother.

You sound all organized and ready to tackle on more renos. I felt so proud having caught up on work and housework - only to find out we have more company this weekend. The island seems to be everyone's vacation destination this year. Maybe when the kids are back in school I can get my heat gun/scapers/paintbrushes back out.

Lol Heidi! You sound like us. After we painted our kitchen two-toned turquoise and retro fiftied it, we wondered if anyone would buy it. Oh yeah...my house number is 666. You would be surprised how that freaks some people out. Not to mention the black cat.

Anonymous said...

Willi and I both saw One, count them, One meteor each. It was exciting for me anyway. I just couldn't stay up any later. I know. Wimp.

raine said...

Roadblock night! I would have popped some popcorn, poured the wine and enjoyed...I understand the appeal. But I do not understand the appeal of Bocce. The balls just - thump down and sit there. And we stand around and look at them..and then thump another one...what am I missing?

Michael Colvin said...

Roadblock Night, lol! We saw the meteor shower too. It was fun!

katy said...

i missed the meteor shower, i fell asleep watching the tv then woke up and went to bed :-(

Heidi the Hick said...

Do you know where I was during the meteor shower? IN the friggin city. In a recording studio. I totally forgot about it. MORON!

But you know what? I just got the title of this post. I'm kinda slow sometimes...!

CindyDianne said...

Can we see the closet? Huh? huh? Can we? I wanna see!

captain corky said...

Beer and pizza are always a good alternative to just about anything really.

dilling said...

Heidi...you might be the only one...heh heh. there was a typo in the packaging...and we all liked it.

emily said...

LET'S GET THIS PAR-TAY STARTED, B OCCE!!!!!!!

dilling said...

Did you just call me Beyonce?

DJ Kirkby said...

I like that pic of the meteor showers. I remember seeing aurea borealis once in Campbell River when I was a teenager, mesmerising!