Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ready, Steady, Go....

***Update*** I added links at the bottom of this post... fun fair food links.

It was a busy weekend that just past. We got a phone call from the marina on Friday night and it turns out that a friend had just pulled into port on her sailboat. So off we went for an impromptu and pricey night out. Then Saturday morning dawned with rain "showers"(more like torrential downpours) and thunder and lightning...and another pricey impromptu trip...with Fishbone to the vet. She was vomiting icky things first thing in the morning...ugh. But all is well...and she came home and is fit and fiesty and fierce. Aren't pets wonderful things?
Finally, off to the fair with Em and Aethan, where we communed again with the farm animals. We DID walk the whole fair, looked at booths, gawked at the rides, listened to music.....but, really, we are there for the animals.

Well, the animals and Elephant Ears/Beaver Tails....but they didn't have Elephant Ears! What kind of a fair is it when you can't find an Elephant Ear?!?!?!? I had to settle for Kettle Korn. Sigh. Aethan loved the "Cot of Candy" a lot!


And the pigs. He really, really liked the pigs.



But what's not to like about this sweet pinkness?




We walked for hours and it was pouring rain sometimes, hot and humid sometimes....we were tired by the end of it...but maybe that was just the sugar crash.
So we went home...and after being soaked a number of times, after walking miles and miles, with no Elephant Ears to look forward to, and nobody willing to come back to the fair with me, I did not come back to see Hedley. They didn't even hit the stage until 9:30 pm. I already had a couple of beers in me by then.




All those barns full of animals shipped in from all over, blue ribbon winners, exotic breeds of rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, goats, etc, and these little stowaways in the sheep barn were one of the biggest crowd attractions!
Sunday got off to a slow start, but eventually we made our way downtown to the marina to see our friend again and to take in the Artfest. It was a slow and lazy afternoon but in the evening we ended up with beer and bocce with friends in the park, laughing at each other and the meth head yelling verbal abuse at the crack heads... the disdain of the tweaker for the cracker....you take what humour you can in this neighbourhood.


***Update****
Beaver Tail
Funnel Cake

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the picture of the stowaways the best too. This sounds like a wonderfully busy weekend. We did not go to the fair this year and now I am missing it. I always like the fried veges and take home some fresh baked cinnamon buns for breakfast. But now elephant ears? That sounds downright wrong.

Victoria said...

Cot of Candy!!!!!!!

raine said...

I couldn't get a decent picture of those baby piggies. I love yours. And Mr. Aethen in his red slicker. How cute is that?

katy said...

bit confused here, you know me also a bit 'slow'! you need to explain what elephant ears are, i only know 'elephant ears as the ears on an elephant.
it looked like a fun weekend

dilling said...

in the states it called an Elephant Ear, in Canada it's a Beaver Tail(folks here give me a hard time since I won't let go of Elephant Ear)...wide, thin slices of bread dough fried until golden brown, sprinkled with sugar and cinammon....sheesh, it can't be in my imagination, can it?

Olly said...

We wimped out Saturday with the rain and all and opted for Sunday instead. You sure can drop a pile of money quickly with a couple of kids at the fair!! Cot of candy, kettle corn, mini donuts (my fave) a few rides and games - good-bye $80 bucks!

If that wasn't sickening enough, we further abused ourselves by stopping at Pirate Chips for some greasy fish & chips. Monday was a slow day around here!

katy said...

call it what you like but my it sounds good to me!

CindyDianne said...

Dilling, I've never heard of Elephant Ears - but I am a huge fan of funnel cakes. It sounds like similar fattening goodness.

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh, those little piglets sent a shiver of delight into my ribs! I loved piglets when I was a kid! Sadly they grow up to awful, rammy, nasty stinky PIGS but when they're little like that...few things are sweeter!!

And I do love the trio of baby birds. I have to post the pictures of this summer's barn swallows. Pretty cool!

Heidi the Hick said...

Also...

I would have half-carried you to that Hedley show.

raine said...

Oh my - Elephant Ears and Funnel Cakes could give the mini doughnut an inferiority complex.

Olly - I feel your pain - we dropped 80.00 in about two hours as well, and for what?? 16.00 for two kids to ride to rides!! Next year they have to save for the rides I think, because it hurts me to throw that away for 4 minutes of mediocreness...

Michael Colvin said...

I haven't tried elephant ears. It is my goal to eventually eat my way around the world.

Olly said...

Those elephant ears do sound tempting!

I guess we shouldn't complain too much about blowing some money at our small town fair. Some friends took their two teens to the PNE a couple years ago. After the ferry trip there, admission, all day ride passes, food, etc. they spent just over $500. I think I'll stick with the VIEX.

katy said...

oh wow i really need one of those, wonder if i could eat it all by myself mmmm