Wednesday, August 15, 2007

For CindyDianne...

who wanted to see the "finished" closet. Well it's just not that easy because it won't technically be done for a while yet. We have to finish the bedroom before we finish up all the floors in one fell swoop, and we need to replace the crappy window because whoever put it in the first time was a moron...it doesn't really even fit in the window opening! What is the point of putting in thermal windows if you don't even match the window size to the opening in the wall? Sheesh. This is the before, if you recall. Carpet from the 60's over lino from the 40's. 12 layers of paint or so.


But underneath it all, fir flooring and 6 inch baseboards and trim.....hi, Eem-er!


Once the stripping was done...paint stripping, people!!! Paint!!!! I replastered the walls...and the eleven foot ceiling! It's hard to photograph the texture. It looks almost like I imagine the original horsehair plaster might have looked...not that I know if this old house EVER had horsehair plaster. I put a coat of pearlescence wax over the top and it looks a bit like the inside of an oyster shell when the sunlight comes through the crappy window.









Maybe here you can see the texture a bit better? Against the not yet refinished trim?




But, my friends, look at this....the refinished baseboard against the replastered, pearlized(is that a word?) wall. Isn't it.............well, let's just say it. Isn't it sexy? Michael did all that trim work. Isn't that sexy, too? Can't you just see it with the floors finished?






And here is the trim now refinished...hi, again, Eem-er. And I got a new/old dresser that will go well in here, and we'll finish my unfinished pine cabinet to match the trim. Michael bought a giant mirror at the ReStore, for our dressing room/sexy walk-in closet. A new light fixture and Bob's your uncle, eh?
With the angles and all, it's hard to take a picture of the whole closet, but once we get the shelves back up and the new furniture and stuff in there(is a dresser really furniture? I guess it is.), I will try for some photos. I imagine that although the labour is finished for now, the closet will be a shambles until the bedroom is done...cuz all the stuff in the bedroom now has to fit into the closet. I hate living in this kind of chaos, but if my new bedroom looks half as sexy as the closet when it's finished....well, I may not be posting anything for a while.
Just saying!
Well, off to Shady Mile Farm Market....talk more later?
















11 comments:

Olly said...

That looks great! Feels so good when something is restored to it's former glory, doesn't it?

You are inspiring me to get out my heat gun and sander again - even in this heat.

Michael Colvin said...

A walk in closet? I would kill for one of those! But unlike Olly I have no intention of ever picking up a heat gun or sander ever again...I've done my time.

CindyDianne said...

Thanks for humoring me! Man - it is gonna be swell! Isn't it.

I still don't have our closet organized...

raine said...

It's going to be beeyootiful! You have so much to work with and all that loving care you are putting into it will show. Love, love the plaster. You would roll your eyes at my completed a reno, a bland 1980's house that we just ripped out the inside of as there was nothing worth restoring inside!
I'm surprised a house of that vintage has a walk in closet - isn't that unusual? Lucky!

DJ Kirkby said...

Hey I love that paint!

katy said...

you plaster yourself? i am impressed, when you have finished i got some little jobs for you do, you game?!

dilling said...

her indoors? You paying air fare and such?

Victoria said...

kbai! ;)

Biddie said...

Wow. What a lot of work, but so worth it in the end! What I wouldn't give for a walk in closet...

katy said...

would love to! hey we could do a house swap, i stay at yours and appreciate the lovey work you have been doing, you stay at mine and work some more, now thats fair huh LOL

Anonymous said...

You are a master of your craft! The pearly plaster looks fabulous...what a stroke of genius.