Friday, August 10, 2007

Get a Smile Here...

I scream, you scream, they're not buying ice cream....
I don't know what Nanaimo can do to fight this GI-NORMOUS drug problem, but somebody better come up with a new plan. Whatever is "the master plan" now just ain't working , the red zone isn't working, the security guards aren't working...not for us, anyway.
That's our Neighbourhood Watch sign these two are passed out under. Victoria Road around the Glow is a nightmare. Nobody can walk downtown anymore without passing through a literal gauntlet of drug activity and criminal behaviour. If I was coming into Nanaimo on the Old Island Highway and saw that mass of addicts doing their shakey dance, making deals, trying to pick up Johns just like they OWNED that whole stretch of road coming into town, I would KEEP ON DRIVING! That's quite a "Welcome to Nanaimo!"
"Lock the doors, Honey. Don't stop. Whatever you do, don't stop!"

This car isn't from our part of town. Hell, it may not even be FROM this town. It has just picked up a hooker. It's daylight, it's summer, "our" kids are home(probably just like this guy's). Why don't we have Vice in this town? You know the revenue the RCMP could generate with an on-going sting operation? Probably enough, honestly, to pay to put one, if not two, more officers on the street. For real. And? Publish the name of the Johns, while you're at it.
Deal with slumlords.
Don't push all your problems south.



This is the second time in two weeks for a full crisis response to the house down the street. I don't know how many in one year. Too many to count, though I have shown you all the lights flashing down there a time or two before. The basement is flophouse for homeless and drug addicts. Two weeks ago, apparently, someone died there. Alcohol and drug related health crisis and domestic violence calls fueled by the same problems...on a weekly basis, it seems.


This red van is passing the scene of drug-related violence and may be on it's way downtown(or more precisely, near my house) to pass out needles, "harm reduction" in action...in a town that already has more than one needle exchange... maybe, instead of all these different agencies spending all their money on the SAME programs, they could get together and make a plan to use it in a way that doesn't seem like a competition to see who can hand out the most needles, or the most condoms, or the most crack pipes.
This is just a thought I have, call me crazy... maybe, if there is already a needle exchange, the money other advocacy groups are also spending on needles would be better spent on...oh, say, helping someone STOP being addicted? Maybe the amount spent on duplicate programs would be enough to stop one person, maybe even two, from living like this. Am I wrong?



16 comments:

Olly said...

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to resolve the drug issue is to reopen the mental institutions and round up the addicts for forced detox with a lot of probation-style follow-up & life skills training. Some of these addicts seem just "too damaged" to be out on their own anymore.

As for the hookers - front page pictures of them and their johns. I know a lot of people would not agree, but I believe a little exposure and humiliation couldn't hurt (society, not them).

I feel for ya, Dilling, we had our bout of crack-house trouble this year. I discribe it to other people like suddenly finding yourself amonst the cast and crew of a Dawn of the Dead movie. All of the shakey junkies staring as zombies. Not really alive anymore, but still passing by.

The crack house? The moron addict was turfed out for not paying his mortgage. We all danced with glee thinking the bank forclosed on it. Wrong. Seems a well known "business" man and slum lord was holding the mortgage. He told us he is selling the place. The house has been empty for a few months now. I have a sick feeling our problems are far from over....

Olly said...

sorry for the typos - going too fast!

Heidi the Hick said...

I don't think you're wrong. These people need help, not free needles.

raine said...

dilling - I feel for you. It has been a nightmare downtown lately. I work downtown and it seems to get worse and worse. Putting the New Hope in it's location has not helped at all...

Not fair that you have to be in a war zone for the priviledge of owning a character home.

raine said...

And I've heard things about that ice cream truck - not good things...

Olly said...

Really, Rain? I have had my doubts about that truck, too. It seems to be parked outside of many different houses around here, but never see it cruising streets selling ice-cream....

katy said...

makes me think that the authorities are too scared to do anything to tackle the on going problems.
i drive through a 'red light' area on my way to work at 5.30am, and see girls being dropped off/pick up, i glare at the guys, funny how they dont like being looked at!

Coffeypot said...

I don’t believe the drug problem will ever go away, even if drugs are legalized. Ideally the legalization of drugs by reputable dealers such as pharmacies or specialty stores similar to liquor stores, with a sell tax dedicated to providing services and rehabs might help. That way, only the users would pay the tax and benefit from the use. But the bureaucrats would screw it up. I agree that rounding up all the users and putting them in a forced detox centers is an alternative. It would be a mess for them but safer for the average citizen and the streets would be safer.

As for the worlds oldest profession, again, if it was legalized it would be cleaner and safer for all concerned. Otherwise, take the John’s pictures and post them.

DJ Kirkby said...

Oh! My! Gawd! What's happened to Nanaimo in the 18 years I've been away?

Victoria said...

sorry you have to live with all this, Dilling. it can't be easy.

Michael Colvin said...

An ice cream truck that drives around selling drugs. That is fucked up.

raine said...

I haven't heard that it sells drugs....

dilling said...

gawd, rain, what is it?!?
it's something more?!? Cuz the only people I see approach it around here is addicts and they don't walk away with icecream...and I have seen some of the places it has parked... eeeeek. I need to know what you know....

raine said...

dilling - the rumours I have heard are that he is more of a "consumer". Are the addicts you see approaching female???

dilling said...

not all of them...and they aren't getting inside the van...

captain corky said...

I agree with Heidi's comment... Drug addiction is devastating and it's not fair that people who don't want anything to do with drugs have to be around them.